Monday, September 4, 2017

Five Fall Trends to Make Your Own or Leave Alone

And so I leave summer and our Bayreuth adventure behind (see Back from Bayreuth – the Experience of a Lifetime).  Today is Labor Day and while not the official start of fall, which comes on September 22nd, I’m now officially in the mood to look at some of the fall trends and decide what to make my own and what to leave alone. 



Courtesy of Do It in Paris

A good place to start is a French website I like called “Do It in Paris.”  It’s very young and very huppé, but it gives me a good idea of what the fashionable young parisienne is wearing each season.  For me, fashion has always been a place to start, not an end in itself.  You take your cues from it and then develop or enhance your individual sense of style from there.  Here are five fall fashion cues worth looking at. 




1 : Paul & Joe. 2 : Erdem. 3 : Nina Ricci. 4 : Hermès
The romantic look is back with lots of floral prints in silky, fluid materials that show off the feminine silhouette.  This is a look that can easily be incorporated into any woman’s wardrobe.  The beauty of it is that you can make it as structured or unstructured as you like with the accessories you add – a belt, a plush pashmina a military-style jacket, etc.  You probably already have something wonderful in your wardrobe you could pair with a dress like this. 

Definitely a fall trend to make your own. 





1 : Gucci. 2 : Marni. 3 : Prada. 4 : Alberta Ferretti
They’re calling this look papier peint which means “wallpaper” in English.  Aptly named, I’d say, since it looks like something you might have seen on your grandmother’s walls.  These big, bold floral prints were all over the spring/summer runways.  Hmmm.

I think I may have to leave this fall trend alone.  Frankly, you’d have to be very young, very thin and very tall to get away with it, and I’ve got two strikes against me.  I’m too short and too old to wear anything that looks like a grandmother either wore it or pasted it on her walls. 






1 : Dior. 2 : Loewe. 3 : Jason Wu. 4 : Alberta Ferretti. 5 : Balenciaga.
Now here’s a look I love – the over-sized sweater worn with a flowy, feminine skirt.  The Jason Wu combination is my favorite, and the colors are very much in my fall color palette.  The solid color sweater contrasts beautifully with the floral skirt.   You can wear any type of shoe with this ensemble -- from stiletto to casual to boots and booties – anything goes.

Definitely a fall trend to make your own.  If you are big busted I would probably avoid this look, but otherwise, just be careful to make sure that the skirt is a silky material that does not add any bulk.  A bulky top + a bulky bottom = a bulky you. 
 





1 et 2 : Céline. 3 : Chloé. 4 : Michael Kors.
This is a very garçon manqué (tom boy) look which is very young and very cute, maybe a little too Annie Hall for me; however, putting a feminine woman in masculine clothes can be very sexy.  Marlene Dietrich knew a thing or two about that and wasn’t it Yves Saint Laurent who put women in le smoking and changed the look of fashion forever? 

If you are going to make this fall trend your own, don’t go for oversized – go for a slimmer fit that is more flattering and definitely go for the jaunty beret.  That checked shirt over a pair of slim black pants and ballet flats would also work beautifully.  It’s all in the proportions. 





1 : Paco Rabanne. 2 : Céline. 3 : Chloé. 4 : Courrèges
Is there anything not to like about the beige overcoat?  It’s classic, chic, goes with everything and is the perfect backdrop to highlight a bright and beautiful scarf, preferably Hermès.  If you think the color is not flattering on you (“Oh no, I can’t wear beige, it washes me out!”), think again.  The color beige comes in so many tints and hues from cool (pinkish tones) to warm (yellowish tones) that there is a perfect shade of beige out there for you.  Trust me.  

Definitely a fall trend to make your own.  



16 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the site.
    I never thought a camel tan color suited me until I discovered if I wore it with either black (which gives it an expensive looking combination) or hunter green or burgundy underneath, it becomes instantly fabulous.
    There is something about those dark florals that look so inviting.
    In the late 80's I had a chiffon ivory skirt and wore it with a long black angora sweater with ivory polka dots and a pink sling-back heel, it was a favorite that I got many compliments on! It made me feel like a Princess in winter. Glad the style is back.
    L-C
    The dress you liked in my photo was also burgundy, a color I gravitate to.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Linda,

      I love sharing great websites. It's in French, so not a problem for me, but I don't think you have to be French or a Francophone to enjoy it.

      You have hit on one of my favorite color combinations - camel and black -- so classy, so chic, so timeless. Just add a dash of red and it's even better.

      Love the 80's look you described. Do you have a picture? I'll bet you looked like a beautiful Princess in that outfit.

      Hugs to my friend and kudos on your new book,

      M-T

      Delete
    2. Hi Marie-Thérèse,

      My favorite of the looks is the "romantic" - first one, done in a very French chic way. I love the wispiness of the fabrics!

      Beige is not my favorite color, but a well-made camel color coat is so attractive and classic, I could see myself in it! The papier peint I couldn't carry off from head to toe, but could get away with a scarf or blouse in the style paired with solid bottoms, perhaps.

      It still feels like summer in New York City, but soon!

      Delete
    3. Hi Debra,

      Yes, it still feels like summer in Haddonfield, as well. I'm w/you on the romantic look. Love the fabrics. You may need to take a fresh look at beige for yourself. It might just surprise you how flattering it can be. Big florals are not my thing either, but in small doses they work well.

      Again, you take your cues from fashion and adapt it to your own style.

      Looking forward to fall in NYC, my favorite time of year.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. Hmm . . . I love the first look, but I wonder about it in the same way as look # 2. Would all those florals look too old lady-ish? I suppose it depends on what you wore with it, maybe something edgier. I'm actually a fan of the big skirt and cropped sweater combo. Being pear shaped I'm afraid that I would look bulky in look # 3. Thanks for the link to the website. (I had to look up huppe).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, I, too, was drawn to the first look. The second one is not something I would do, at least head to toe. Adding something edgy to something soft and feminine always kicks things up a few fashion notches. Love that juxtaposition.

      What about a great beige coat for winter? Winters are cold in Michigan.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  3. I think I OD'd on camel/beige some years ago, and still haven't completely recovered. I love the Dior sweater & skirt combo, the skirt length is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wouldn't want a whole wardrobe of beige, but it's a great neutral that goes w/everything. I love that Dior combo, too, although it might be a little overwhelming on a tiny body. That's a versatile skirt length that works well w/almost any heel height or style of shoe/boot.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Regine. I always try to pick pieces that can work for those of us who are no longer young and were probably never model thin.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  5. I couldn't refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  6. A great summation of coming Fall styles. For me, I think I'll be sticking with my classic basics and seeking them with new accessories. Bisous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, Elizabeth, I have so many great classic basics in my wardrobe accumulated over the years that I sometimes let many seasons pass before I add a piece or two. I really don't need anything new for fall/winter; however, if I happen to run across a great accessory or two, I will definitely add them to my collection.

      Always enjoy when you stop by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  7. Hey there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before
    but after checking through some of the post
    I realized it's new to me. Nonetheless, I'm definitely delighted I found it and
    I'll be bookmarking and checking back often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After checking out a number of the blog articles on your blog, I really
    like your technique of blogging. I added it to my bookmark webpage list
    and will be checking back in the near future. Please visit my
    web site too and tell me what you think.

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...