Monday, June 26, 2017

Winter White to Summer Bright at the Met

As I reflect on the Met Opera season just passed (See The Last Curtain Call), all sorts of things come to mind from the expected (great singing from solo artists and the incomparable chorus, great musicianship from the brilliant orchestra) to the unexpected (discovering young voices that I instantly know are destined for greatness).  At the close of every opera season, I am overwhelmed by a feeling of gratitude that Dan and I were able to experience it all and that, the Good Lord willin’ and the creek don’t rise, we will be able to do it all again starting in the fall. 


Dancer Tommy Tune elegant in black wearing his signature black glasses

I am a discreet but incurable people watcher, and the opera house is a great place to see an amazing array of the species from celebrities and the perfectly coiffed New York dowager, Hermès scarf draped casually around her well tailored dinner suit, to the young student in rumpled blue jeans who can barely afford standing room.  He queued up early that morning to get one of the limited number of standing room tickets and is thrilled just to be there.  I have a soft spot in my heart for him.  My late brother was one of those student standees many years ago. 

 

As winter morphed into spring, Met opera goers began to shed their New York Black in favor of winter white and bright colors.  Here are a few pictures from the website Last Night at the Met that illustrate this point beautifully. 


WHITE


This lovely lady is wearing a great two-piece outfit in white.  Both top and trousers are loose and flowing, giving them a comfortable, almost casual feel, except for the rich material and off-the-shoulder top, which make the ensemble decidedly formal.  Adding to that formal feeling are the accessories she has chosen – a tear-drop diamond and emerald necklace and matching earrings, statement cocktail ring and silver jeweled evening sandals.  Her hair is very simple and off the face focusing attention on her and her outfit.  I also love her eyeglasses.  The pale color works beautifully with her outfit and the round shape flatters the angles of her face.  A big, bright smile completes this beautiful portrait. 

 

 

This handsome couple in black and white clearly coordinated their look and the result is stunning.  That black lace overlay along the side of her gown is a fabulous detail.  Its effect is slimming while emphasizing her sassy curves.  Just look at her posture and tell me she doesn’t know how to rock a curvy body!  Wow!  She’s kept the accessories to a minimum and all in red –lipstick, nail polish, earrings and hair ornament in her chic chignon.  I just wish I could get a peek at her shoes.  Want to bet what color they are? 

The gentleman knows how to wear a well-fitting, light-weight jacket on a large frame and the break of his trousers is perfection. 

 



This stunning femme d’un certain âge is the epitome of elegance in her white, cape-backed gown.  Diamond chandelier earrings and long necklace, bold rings, a striped bracelet and silver clutch add just the right touch of drama.  Her hair is short, classic and simple, swept back from her face.  Dramatic eye makeup with a strong eyebrow and red lipstick complete the look.  Tone down your eye makeup after a certain age?  Nonsense!  Cover your arms after a certain age?  Stuff and nonsense!!  Rules are meant to be broken by those who know how and, believe me, this lady knows how.  And how!  It’s all about confidence, class and attitude and she exudes all three.  I don’t know who she is, but she is, as the French would say, superbe. 


COLOR



It doesn’t get more colorful than this.  This is basically a white gown with an overlay of a bold, red poppy print that ends in a sweeping train.  You can see the white lining peeking through on the side.  Her hair is swept up in a classic chignon.  No need for a necklace with that lovely heart-shaped neckline.  Instead, she has opted for diamond chandelier earrings and opera length red leather gloves, a great, edgy touch – so much more interesting than traditional white satin.  Again, red lipstick is absolutely de rigueur here to complete the look. 


 


This charming young lady’s strapless dress is a long red lace overlay over a dark lining that stops above the knee in front.  Despite the dark lining, the whole effect is one of lightness and transparency.  The asymmetrical hem is a wonderful touch.  She allows the dress to speak for itself by wisely keeping her accessories to a minimum -- silver cocktail rings and a black neck band with a large star-burst brooch at the center, which adds sparkle to her fresh young face.  Love her curls! 






This lady has clearly turned her back on winter as she climbs the stairs to the Grand Tier in white pumps and a white floral coat adorned with a big pink bow.  I am absolutely in love with this coat.  To me it has an almost Japanese feel to it, the over-sized bow reminding me of the obi on a kimono. 


Well, another Met season under my belt.  Time to get ready for Bayreuth and Wagner’s Ring des Niebelungen next month (See The Hunt for the Perfect Special Occasion Shoe).  It’s also time for me to look over my evening gown collection and make some decisions.  I’ll need to take four with me.  So far, I’ve narrowed it down to two florals, one red and one basic black; however, I might change my mind at the last minute………..or not.  We'll see. 

 
All pictures taken by Rose Callahan and can be found on Last Night at the Met.


17 comments:

  1. It is so nice to see people so beautifully dressed on your latest post. This past Thursday evening we had Orchestra seats to see a Broadway play (War Paint). That evening I saw hot pants, torn jeans, flip flops. sneakers, tee shirt - I could go on and on. Let's say I felt like I was in a Movie Theater. All we needed was a bag of popcorn & some twizzlers.

    We go to see Broadway shows 2-3x a year & are very aware the dress code has gotten more casual. This was the worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I so empathize w/your comments, Rosie, not that I have anything against popcorn and twizzlers, both of which I love.

      Truth be told, these photos were taken during evening performances when people do tend to dress for the occasion. As we have a matinee subscription to the Met, we see an array of dresses from formal/cocktail to rumpled jeans. Thank God, I have not yet seen any flip flops. I have a visceral reaction (negative) to anyone wearing flip flops when not at the beach, particularly men w/their hairy toes. Yuck!!

      Always enjoy your comments, Rosie. Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. Oooh, lovely dresses! I don't go the Met Opera. My thing is the New York City Ballet, but unfortunately, not many people dress up for it. Once in a while, I'll see one person. As a society, we have gotten very casual. I miss the television show, Mad Men, which showed a time when people made more of an effort to look their best, and it's fun to have a reason to dress up!

    To the fall season! I do appreciate the summer break ... because I can relax and without the fear that I'm missing something. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, love the NYCB, but don't have time to do everything I'd like to do. My husband is not a big ballet fan.

      I came of age in the era of Mad Men and remember the beautiful dresses and the men in suits and ties and hats. Also, my parents gave lots of cocktail parties. We came down in our pajamas to kiss everyone hello and goodnight and then were sent to bed. Of course, we always sneaked down the stairs to see what was going on. It felt so deliciously naughty.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this post, Regine.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  4. Lovely images. I have not been to The Royal Opera house for ages however when I last went the dress code seemed to have become increasingly more casual. We recently went to the opera at Holland Park. It was a lovely warm evening and the women seemed to be dressed in simple chic dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a few years since we attended performances at The Royal Opera, and I do remember it being much more casual than the Met, but I remember enjoying the performances immensely.

      Naturally, we will be in evening dress at the "festspielhaus" this summer in Bayreuth for all four "Ring" operas. It is expected.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  5. I love seeing these elegant dressers! Bravo! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always delighted to share photos of the well-dressed. It reminds us all of a more elegant time.

      Cheers, Cindy.

      M-T

      Delete
  6. This comments was sent to me by my dear friend Anna and published with her permission:

    "Great dresses at the Met. People do dress more casually there especially for the matinee but occasionally I do see some lovely outfits. I am always 'outfit watching'
    Same at Glimmerglass. Some long dresses mix with very casual pants. I think dressing up for the opera or any other occasion makes it much more festive and enjoyable.
    Send pictures of you in your evening gowns at Bayreuth."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that the "clothes make the man" and the occasion. I promise to send pictures from Bayreuth. Not sure if I'll bring my cell phone, but certainly Dan will have his w/him, so I can promise some pictures.

      See you and Novis soon.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  7. Love your post M-T. Dressing up makes an event like this even more special. Hope you enjoy a wonderful and relaxing summer. - We'll stay put in FL most of the time - Hubby has some health issues!
    Best wishes ~ Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your husband's health problems. Hope they are not serious. Enjoy your summer in FL. Things are heating up here as we prepare for our opera trip to Bayreuth this summer. That will be the wonderful part of the summer. The relaxing part will come when we get home.

      Thanks for stopping by, Rose

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  8. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    Seeing people come out to the Opera, dressed like this, gives ones soul a good jolt of energy for quite some time.
    We all need this and it is so very rewarding to see ladies of all ages with great confidence and elegance!
    Sending you hugs and wishing you a Happy 4th of July.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 4th of July to you, too, ma chère Mariette.

      I knew you would love seeing these elegant ladies. Elegance knows no age. That's the wonderful thing about it.

      As always, love your great comments.

      Grosses bises, M-T

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...