Thursday, November 3, 2016

A Special Guest Blogger for You Today

It’s been a busy few weeks.  All good.  In fact, great! 


Dinner at Gabriel's Restaurant off Columbus Circle in Manhattan
Cousin Hélène is on my left and her two children, Juliette and Augustin, are on my right.
Family visiting from France, dinners with friends, operas, exhibits, writing an article for a local magazine and, in general, lots of running hither, thither and yon.  I never quite know where you actually end up after running “hither, thither and yon” (I suspect back where you started), but my British Grandmum used to say it, and I always loved the sound of it.  And, as Mme Mère used to say, tout cela pour dire (all of which means) that I’m a bit tired, so I’ve handed my Blog over to a very special Guest Blogger today. 





Do you remember the stray cat we rescued in May?  Well, I thought you might like to know how she’s been getting along, so I’ll let her tell you, herself. 





“It was a dark and stormy night when I arrived tired, hungry and wet at No. 113 in The Mews.  Well, maybe that’s just a wee bit of feline hyperbole.  It was actually late morning with a light drizzle, but it had been raining cats and ….whatever that other species is ….for weeks on end, and I was, indeed, tired, wet and hungry. 

My new Mom and Dad put me in a warm, dry room with a big, soft bed, a bowl of tasty food, lots of toys to play with and my very own litter box.  Suddenly, the great outdoors didn’t seem so great anymore!

After a week or so I was introduced to my new stepsisters, Cecilia and Allegra.  There was some de rigueur hissing, spitting, growling and tail puffing, but it was more of a Mexican standoff than World War III.  I liked Cecilia right away, but at 22 she’s not much for playing any more.  Allegra is only six, so we have fun ambushing and chasing each other up and down the stairs. 





I’ve been here six months now and my vagabond lifestyle is just a vague memory.  Time sure flies when you have nothing to do but eat, sleep, play and exert a minimum effort at being “cute,” which gets you all the attention and pets you want whenever you want them.  It also comes in handy when one of Mom’s favorite china tea cups gets broken.  Don’t look at me!  I’m a cat.  We don’t do explanations. 

In fact, all I have to do is sleep with a paw over my face and Mom starts ooooohing and aaaaaahing all over the place about how adorable I am.  She’s funny that way. 

  

                                                                                                            

The truth is that I really am rather adorable.  I’ve filled out a bit and my fur has become quite healthy and plush.  Mom worries about me gaining too much weight, but you know how obsessed French women are with being thin.  Dad thinks I’m just perfect the way I am.  I think Dad is on to something. 





This is my favorite place to sit when Mom is cooking.  I can keep an eye on everything and steal a few tasty morsels when she’s not looking.





I do try to lend a paw in the kitchen now and then, but I can never get the hang of putting these things on.  Is it even possible to get dishpan paws?  I don’t think so. 





Here I am trying to live up to my operatic namesake, the brilliant soprano Kiri Te Kanawa.  Hitting those High “C”s is a lot harder than it looks, but I’m working on it.


 


This is my favorite toy, a plastic bag from the dry cleaners.  I love rolling in it, hiding under it, dragging it around and napping on it….plus, it makes a loud crinkly noise that wakes Mom and Dad up in the middle of the night.  How much fun is that!! 





I celebrated my first birthday last month and the Vet sent me a birthday card.  That’s the least he could do, I think, after what he does to me when I’m there.  Actually, he’s not so bad and he’s not bad looking either.  He’s the one who decided how old I was by looking at my teeth.  Nobody thought to ask ME, but, then, I wouldn’t have told them.  A lady never reveals her age.  



 

All in all, I have to say it’s a wonderful life and if I weren’t a cat I’d be grateful.  We don’t do grateful. 

Happy Napping, Miss Kiri Kat


P.S:  For Mom’s take on how they got me and named me, click on ‘What’s in a Name – Maybe Much Ado About Nothing.’ I think you’ll enjoy it.” 


3 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful cat, Marie-Thérèse! She seems quite playful! Glad the other cats accepted her. Also she is rolling around on a gorgeous carpet!

    What fun it is to have family in town. Hope you enjoyed your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's a real cutie. She's my secret weapon. I have so many pictures of her on my phone that whenever friends pull out pictures of their grandkids, I just pull out pictures of Miss Kiri Kat. She wins, paws down, every time, although I may be a wee bit prejudiced.

      That carpet is in my office.

      Yes, I had a wonderful time with my cousin and her children.

      Thanks for stopping by, Debra.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. Dearest Marie-Thérèse and Kiri Kat,
    Wow, loved reading this Kiri Kat novel. What a life and what great photos with insights into that warm life.
    Yes, she is a very lucky one but they also do give us so much back.
    As I type this comment my silky velvet black Bandido-boy naps on my lap.
    We love our smart feline royalty!
    Oh, having friends or family over can wear you out; tell me!
    I have digested my trip to France and coming home to the house where Mom no longer would await me with her hugs and kisses and tears of joy... It kind of had me float for some weeks after coming home and reality manifested itself. Also saying goodbye to my Dad who will be soon 96 and with his CHF one never knows. I told him, if we can't meet again here on earth, it will be later in heaven. Had a good talk together and it sure did perk him up. Guess he too can finally put it all behind him, having now seen his eldest child as well.
    We're very happy this week for many reasons. Also because our youngest feline, our chunky Speckie turned 7 and we hit the 33 marker for our wedding day. We dined at our authentic Italian restaurant together last night and had a lovely evening.
    Oh, and I had to laugh, Pieter and I could not keep up with packing up, printing shipping labels for sending out ALL my 925 silver Giovanni Raspine safety pins. SOLD OUT!
    Surprises are always around the corner, be it even for a strange movement by those that still will sulk for a while to come; their final convulsions . Wishing them peace and we all together have to move on with life.
    Big hugs to all of you; two-legged and four-legged!
    Mariette

    Oh, I had so much fun performing on Tuesday evening with my choir. Great groep of Owls and we're 27 in total. Love being a 1st soprano and dancing too. Mom was a 1st soprano in her choir for 29 years. Dad is very pleased that I too have taken up singing as he is singing now for 78 years...

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...