Saturday, September 17, 2016

Don’t Leave Summer White Behind

Thursday, September 22nd, is the official first day of fall, although Mother Nature may have other ideas that have nothing to do with what it says on the calendar.  While we no longer adhere to that old “No White after Labor Day” dictum our mothers lived by,


All Women's Dresses - White Cotton Dress

we do tend to pack away those little white cotton dresses for next spring, which is a shame, I think.  While fall means warm, vibrant colors, it’s a pity to leave cool, crisp white behind.  If you don’t feel comfortable wearing a white cotton dress as the temperature drops, there are great ways to take white with you into fall and winter, and this is one of my favorites. 




Recently, the Wall Street Journal Magazine showcased the Little White Shirt (the “LWS”) and set it off with BIG, BOLD EarringsMerci beaucoup to the WSJ for featuring one of my favorite ways to take white with me into fall and winter -- I’ve been doing it for years.  What I love so much about this look is that delicious contrast between the shy, self-effacing LWS and the accessory that screams “Look at me!”  And they will.  It’s a look that’s easy to pull off and is a real attention getter. 

Of course, the secret to pulling it off perfectly depends on the perfect LWS (material, shape and fit) and the perfect pair of earrings.  And, when I say “the perfect pair of "Look at me!" earrings,” I mean a pair of earrings whose shape is flattering to the shape of your face. 

Here’s what I mean.

 
Photo Credit: makeupandbeauty.com

“Oval” Face Shape and Earrings

If you have an Oval Face, lucky you.  It’s the ideal shape.  The length of your face is longer than its width, and your face is neither too long nor too wide.  As Goldilocks would say, “It’s just right!” 

You can pretty much wear any shape Earrings you want, although you might want to avoid extremely long shapes that tend to visually pull down and elongate the face.  Those may not be quite as flattering on you as other shapes.  Just a quibble, but something to keep in mind.


“Round” Face Shape and Earrings

If you have a Round Face, your cheekbones are wider than your brow bones and jaw line, giving your face a circular shape. 

You should choose Earrings with curved (not round) lines that are longer than they are wide.  Longer or dangling earrings that are not too narrow will also work well for your face.  Avoid earrings that are too big and earrings that are round, which will only accentuate the roundness of your face. 


“Oblong (Long)” Face Shape and Earrings

If you have an Oblong (Long) Face, the length of your face is noticeably longer than its width.  Your brow bones, cheekbones and jaw line are about the same width apart on your face. 

You should choose wide Earrings with curved shapes, which will create the illusion of width through the middle of your face.  Avoid long, dangling earrings, which will only accentuate the length of your face. 


“Square” Face Shape and Earrings

If you have a Square Face, the brow bones, cheekbones and jaw line are approximately the same width apart.  The length of your face is short in proportion to its width. 

You should choose medium-sized Earrings with angular shapes or soft curves.  Avoid earrings that are square, round or too big. 


“Heart” Face Shape and Earrings

If you have a Heart Face, your forehead, brow bones and cheekbones are wider than your jaw line, which creates the signature V-shaped chin. 

You should choose oval-shaped Earrings and those that are broader at the bottom, which will add width near the chin line. 


“Diamond” Face Shape and Earrings

If you have a Diamond Face, your cheekbones are wider than your brow bones and jaw line, which tends to be angular and pointed. 

You should choose Earrings with sharp angles, such as squares and triangles, worn close to the face.  Avoid curved, long or dangling earrings. 


“Pear” Face Shape


Beautiful Actress Minnie Driver -- the Perfect Pear

As we age, many of us who start out with other face shapes find that things begin to migrate south, and they’re NOT going in pursuit of warmer weather.  Sadly, gravity’s relentless pull on once-youthful muscles begins to take its toll, and our faces become Pear Shaped. 

Our jaw lines are now wider than our brow bones and cheekbones.  When did that happen? 

Not to worry, Ladies.  The beautiful actress, Minnie Driver, was born with a Pear Shaped face, and I think she’s simply stunning. Here she is wearing earrings that are absolutely the perfect shape for her face.  She has chosen dramatic earrings with a strong, vertical line that hit just below her jaw line, thereby elongating her face and drawing attention away from its width.  Fabulous!


And, so, Mesdames, there's no need to leave summer white behind as you head into fall.  With the perfect Little White Shirt and Big, Bold earrings you can keep your chic summer vibe going all year long.  That's the wonderful thing about casual chic -- it defies the seasons and time itself. 

9 comments:

  1. I'm still adjusting to the southerly migration of my body parts, so I'm not as adventurous with my clothes and accessories as others of a similar age. The information in this post has me reassessing my look. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Elizabeth. It's so relentless that you hardly have time to adjust when it keeps on coming! Still, if I've piqued your interest enough to reassess your look, I'm thrilled. Let me know how it goes. Would be most curious, and a picture, strictly entre nous, would be much appreciated.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    Oh, for the past couple of weeks I sure have enjoyed wearing two pieces of white for the end of a lovely summer!
    Still on the road so I am brief here.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Mariette,

      I hope you and Pieter are having a wonderful trip and that your kitties don't miss you too much.

      Grosses bises, M-T

      Delete
    2. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
      No, they only need to hold on some more hours... BUT their human parents enjoyed so much the wedding in the south of France! They love their cat-sitter by the way and that gives us peace of mind.
      Hugs to you,
      Mariette

      Delete
  3. I love autumn, and I find myself tiring of white and looking forward to fall colors. I have a number of linen garments in darker fall colors that take me through this transitional season. My white dress that feels so good during summer, just seems tired now. As far as the white shirt goes, I haven't worn a buttoned-up white shirt for years, it just looks dorky on me. I'm not sure why that is, just not my style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you know from reading my posts that I am a HUGE fan of fall, as well. The deep, vibrant colors of autumn are my colors and, obviously, yours, too.

      To be honest, I own white pieces (pants, tops, tee-shirts, jackets, shoes, etc.) that I wear in summer, but not a white dress.

      If the buttoned-up white shirt doesn't work for you, try unbuttoning it or, perhaps, a collarless white top or sweater. You can achieve the same effect. You can always add a touch of autumn color in a scarf.

      Bright white does not work for everyone. If it doesn't work for you, go for ecru or cream instead. Otherwise, enjoy all those beautiful autumn colors.

      Thanks for stopping by. Always enjoy your comments.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  4. I am still wearing white most days but then I am in the South of France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous. With your coloring, white is so flattering on you. Enjoy wearing it all year, even when you return to rainy, overcast London. It will remind you of your home in the South of France.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...