Friday, November 6, 2015

Yet Another Reason to Love Red Lipstick

If you follow my blog, you know I inherited Mme Mère’s love of lipstick, particularly red lipstick. 



It makes me feel powerful and in charge.  Mme Mère believed that life does not trifle with a woman wearing red lipstick, and I believe she was right, so…..I’m not taking any chances.    


However, there’s yet another reason to love red lipstick that has NOTHING to do with lips and EVERYTHING to do with eyes.  Professional makeup artists have been using red lipstick under the eyes for years to correct dark circles and discoloration.  Sound crazy?  Not at all.


FYI:  P (primary color); S (secondary color); T (tertiary color)
Take a look at this color wheel.  No self-respecting Image or Color Consultant would be without one.  The colors green and red are directly opposite each other, making them complementary.  When you put green over red or the reverse, they neutralize each other. 

The skin under your eyes is thin and delicate and becomes more so with age.  Most discoloration in that area tends to be blue-green, the color of your veins.  Directly opposite blue-green on the wheel is red-orange, which means that the best color to neutralize blue-green is red-orange.  So, you want to choose a red lipstick with orange in it, rather than violet.  Make sense now? 

Well, here’s a great tutorial from beauty expert Deepica Mutyala to show you exactly how it’s done, after which I’ll give you some helpful hints. 





Helpful Hint #1: 

For those of you with medium to fair skin, you should look for a shade of lipstick in the peach family.  You will find that the color that works best will depend on the intensity of the shade (pale to bright).  Paula Dorf cosmetics used to make a wonderful peach-colored, under-eye concealer that worked like a charm.  Unfortunately, as is so often the case with favorite products, they discontinued it. 


Helpful Hint #2:

Here’s a trick I learned from a retired model friend of mine, who has all sorts of makeup tricks up her sleeve for women our age. 



A sweep of a slightly yellow shadow, such as Laura Mercier’s Buttercream, under the entire eye area looks more natural and flattering than the too-light concealer that often results in a whitish ring under the eyes.  Give it a try and see if you don’t love the effect. 





Laura Mercier’s Star Fruit in a lustrous, pale yellow-gold is my favorite way to highlight my eyes for evening.



First, I sweep it under the arch of my brow to the end of my brow to highlight the whole eye. 

Then, I add a vertical smudge from lash line to crease right in the center of my eyelid to highlight the gold rim around my green eyes.

Finally, I dab it in the inner corner of my eyelid and just a touch under the outer corner to reflect light onto my eyes.  It's all very subtle and very effective. 


Helpful Hint #3


Over time, your favorite red lipstick becomes flattened and loses its shape making it difficult to create that perfect Cupid’s bow, unless you use a lipstick brush, which I highly recommend but realize that a busy woman does not have time to reapply her lipstick with a brush every time she needs a touch up.  So, here’s an old trick that I learned from Mme Mère to restore lipstick to its original, pristine shape. 



Soften your lipstick by holding it over (not too near) an open flame.

Once soft, reshape with a spoon and allow to harden.  Voilà!!!  Suddenly, your lipstick and your lips have a new lease on life.  

12 comments:

  1. Really interesting. I might buy a cheap peach lipstick and try it out. I remember when I was doing camouflage make-up I used to have a palette with a reddish tone in it which was great for under eye circles. I think it might still be available from professional make-up shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These makeup tricks have been around for a while. Every generation (re)discovers them, like sex. The young always think they have discovered/invented it. We can only smile knowingly.

      In any event, let me know how you make out w/a cheap peach lipstick, which should do the trick.

      Always enjoy your comments, Josephine. Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. What a great tip for fixing flat lipsticks. Your Mme Mere was one brilliant lady. I love her tips!!
    Great chatting this week. Lets keep it going!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure Mme Mère learned that trick from someone else, probably my grandmother, who spent a great deal of her life in the theater. Theater people have wonderful makeup tricks that have been around forever. My grandfather was a theatrical makeup artist and used to shape his own brushes to suit his needs. Now we buy them the way we want them.

      Looking forward to our next chat.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  3. Great hints, thank you. I do like Laura Mercier, good colors and a nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rita. I love her products, too. They are pricey, but I always feel I'm getting my money's worth.

      As always, thanks for stopping by.

      Chees, M-T

      Delete
  4. I love reading makeup and beauty tips! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading them too, Debra, and I love sharing them even more. Thanks for sharing your comment.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  5. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    This was a loaded post, full of tricks!
    I would never have thought that red (for the darker olive skin types) would conceal those dark circles around the eye.
    But it surely did the trick.
    Shaping the lipstick with a spoon, after warming it up, depends on the length of what is left. Nowadays lipsticks often come in shorter 'sticks'...
    Love Laura Mercier for the eyes.
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Mariette,

      As always, I love your comments. Yes, indeed, if you've got just a stump of lipstick left, reshaping is not on the makeup agenda; however, that's the time to use your lipstick brush so you can dig out every last bit.

      Laura is wonderful for the eyes, isn't she?

      Big hugs to you and Pieter,

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  6. Great share! Even I have some awesome collection of branded lipstick online at Majorbrands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates.
    Lipstick in a Pen

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...