Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Your Friend, Mother Nature – Don’t Say You Haven’t Been Warned!

I am seldom in a good mood in the morning.  No, let me rephrase that.  I am always in a bad mood in the morning. 
No, let me be more precise, I am a barely ambulatory bad mood in the morning looking for a reason to justify its existence……..





And Mother Nature frequently supplies one.  When did we all become vestal virgins to such a capricious goddess? 

When I was a kid in the fifties, we looked to technology to make our lives easier.  By the time we were adults with kids of our own, we were told, the only thing we would have to worry about was what to do with all the free time we would have on our hands, thanks to our friend, Technology. 



Mother Nature, on the other hand, we were told, was perverse, unpredictable and often downright mean.  The blood of our forefathers was liberally sprinkled from one end of this great country to the other as the result of their struggles against the ravages of that perverseness, unpredictability and downright meanness. 



This Painting "Little Girl in a Red Cap at the Beach" is Available from Artist Elizabeth Blaylock


When I was five, my parents rented a summer place in Wildwood, New Jersey.  They had home movies of me trying to shake the sand off my feet as I walked along the beach.  The expression on my little face is about as close as a five-year old can get to rearranging her facial baby fat into a look that registers both indignation and utter contempt for her surroundings. 

That night I was eaten alive by mosquitoes and kept my little brother awake with my scratching, a blessing in disguise as it turned out, since he did most of his serious bed wetting while asleep. 

The next day I was dragged back to the beach where, after once again performing my ritual sand dance, my mother could bear it no longer and dragged me off to the ocean where I was no sooner knocked down by a rather large and very rude wave than I was stung by a jellyfish. 

That night I developed a fungal infection on my right foot, the scars of which are still visible almost 60 years later, and the mosquitoes once again sucked me dry until daybreak.  We left the next day.  Mother Nature and I have had as little to do with each other as possible ever since. 



In our rush to get back to nature and things natural, have we forgotten what a moody mistress Mother Nature can be?  She distributes both reward and punishment with an indiscriminate hand.  She is an untrustworthy ally and a formidable foe.  Plain and simple, natural things can kill you, or at the very least annoy the hell out of you. 


Technology may not always be a perfect gentleman, but Mother Nature is no lady.  Give her the respect and admiration she so richly deserves, but if I were you, I’d keep a vigilant eye on her from a safe distance, because I suspect she and I have something in common in the morning, and I wouldn’t turn my back on me before Noon.  

10 comments:

  1. Oh, M-T! You had me laughing out loud with this post! After a childhood beach experience like yours, it's no wonder you are not a fan of Mother Natures.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire her from a distance, and that's the way we both like it. So glad my post gave you a good chuckle, Cheri.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. Love the images. Mother nature is being kind at the moment with lovely sunny days here in the South of France. However you never know a Mistral could be round the corner and we had the most dramatic storm the other night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember my parents talking about the Mistral. Have never experienced it, myself. Enjoy your balmy Côte d'Azur weather.

      I don't think Mother Nature liked this post. Right after I published it, we were hit w/a severe storm, heavy rains, high winds and a tornado passed through the next town. We lost electricity for a few hours. I guess leaving a negative comment on my Blog wasn't good enough for her. You've gotta love the lady's style!!

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  3. The mosquitoes love me too...
    I actually have a lot of respect for Mother Nature.
    Perhaps it's all those itchy bites and the torrential rains and locusts....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I respect her, too, but at a safe distance. She has great style. Our house backs up to a beautiful park and lake. I love to just sit w/a cup of tea and a good book and watch the seasons change. I don't know what I would do if I lived in a tropical or polar climate. I would really miss admiring her handiwork w/each passing season.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  4. I'm not an "outdoor: woman. In fact, my idea of camping is in a 45' motorhome with the A/C running. The mosquito's just love me too. Won't touch my husband, but feast on me. And like you, I love the beauty of majestic nature, but that doesn't include, bugs, burning sun, nasty winds or other nasties!
    Fun post.
    xoxoJennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm w/you, my Friend. I remember your adventures in your 45' motorhome. So funny! Roughing it, for me, is a Motel 6.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  5. I love being outside and one with nature and love walking, camping or just observing. It brings me a great sense of peace and calm. What is more beautiful than watching the waves crashing on rocks,a gorgeous sunset or a dramatic thunder storm? Better still I love walking in soft spring rain and smelling that wonderful damp smell after rain or maybe, treading in fresh new snow. Yes, mosquitoes and midges love me too so there is always repellent and anti-histamines in the first aid cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pixie, Mother Nature clearly has a friend in you. I, too, keep repellent and antihistamines handy at all times (I'm allergic to bee stings), for those occasional forays outside. Actually, I love nothing better on a beautiful day than a picnic in the park right behind my home.

      Thanks for stopping by and sharing your lovely sentiments.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...