Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Summer Faves Top to Toe

Summer is my down time – no opera, no theater, no travelling, if I can avoid it (too hot, too crowded). 
  

Have the Pool Boy Bring my Cocktail in 10 Minutes When I’ve Finished my Nap.

As the temperature rises and my energy level drops, I prefer not to make any unnecessary moves.  Unlike the more energetic “me” the rest of the year, who enjoys life at full boil, the summer “me” likes to keep life simple and on slow simmer. 



And that goes for my beauty routine, as well. 

Do you know about Cleansing Waters?  French women have been using them for years.  I love them, especially in the summer, when you can just wipe away dirt and make-up on a cotton pad without having to rinse.  Talk about simple and effective! 


I use Sephora’s Eau Micellaire Démaquillante, but Caudalie, Darphin and La Roche-Posay all have their own versions of Cleansing Water.  Walgreens Micellar Water rings in at about one-third the price of Darphin. 

So, what is Cleansing Water and what’s in it that makes it different from the water that comes out of your tap? 

First of all, Cleansing Water is NOT a toner, which often contains alcohol and astringents and can be harsh on delicate skin. 

Cleansing Water contains microscopic micelles that literally eat up dirt and oils on the surface of your skin. 

You can use it in the evening to take off your make-up or after you have washed off your make-up to clean up any residue.  It’s a clean-up crew for your face. 


Caudalie’s Makeup Removal Cleansing Water (also available at Sephora) is great at removing even the heaviest coat of mascara. 

I use my Sephora Cleansing Water in the morning.  Just a few pumps on a cotton pad and my face feels clean, refreshed and ready for a hard summer’s day of doing as little as possible.  The formula contains HydroSenn+, which promises to deliver all-day hydration.  All I know is that it leaves my skin feeling and looking great all day. 

The no-rinse factor makes Cleansing Water wonderful to take on trips for a quick, refreshing clean up on the go.  


Now that my face is clean and refreshed, it’s time to apply Laura Mercier’s Mineral Foundation Primer.  I have long been a fan of her Primers, but my new Fave for summer is her mineral formula, a creamy gel that goes on as a liquid and has a powdery finish.  When I apply my Tinted Moisturizer over it, it stays put all day, and the powdery finish means that I don’t have to add a finishing powder (one less step) to set it.  Actually, I sometimes wear the Primer alone, as it has a lovely smoothing effect on my skin. 


Laura Mercier’s new Paint Wash Liquid Lip Color is just fabulous for summer.  It’s demi-matte and comes in the most beautiful, intense colors.  I wear Sunblaze.  It goes on creamy, and once it dries, it really does have amazing staying power.  You might want a creamier formula for your lips in winter (or you can add some lip gloss over top), but in summer, this stuff really stays put without drying out your lips.  You’ll find you need fewer touch ups during the day. 

Just as your summer face needs special care, your summer feet need a little TLC, too.

Got a pair of shoes or sandals that you love, but they don’t love you back? 


How about a little FootGloss?  This is an amazingly simple product that will make your feet love your favorite shoes as much as you do.  Just apply a little FootGloss to the area on your foot that gets sore and irritated by your shoes and, voilà, your shoes will be comfortable all day and your feet will be blister free at the end of the day.  I love this stuff!  It really does work!



And what about bare feet in sandals and shoes that slip and slide in the summer heat and can leave your shoes with, let’s be honest, unpleasant foot odors?  Wouldn’t it be great to wear some sort of invisible socks to avoid that unpleasantness?  Well, SummerSox has come up with flat socks with a special adhesive that sticks to the insole, absorbs perspiration and can be removed and washed at the end of the day.  Just pick your size and choose from a fabulous array of colors and patterns, and you’re on your way to walking pretty. 

(In the interest of full disclosure, I have not personally tried this product, as it does not come in a size small enough for me to wear.  The smallest size they make is a 5 and I’m a 4.)

Whatever you decide to do or not do this summer, make sure you’re sitting and walking pretty.  

8 comments:

  1. I have been curious about cleansing water and how it works. I especially wanted to try Caudalie’s as their products look lovely (but pricey). I think I will pick up a cleansing water next time I'm at Sephora. The save time & water!

    Thanks for the great post full of useful information!
    p.s. - The cat picture made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like the cleansing water. Nothing looks more relaxed than a full-out, relaxed cat. I should know. I have three of them.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. Cleansing water sounds like the perfect think to use in the morning!! I've seen them and always wondered. Foot Gloss is totally new to me. Clicking over to get some.
    Don't work too hard my friend. It sounds like your summer is shaping up perfectly. Talk soon I hope!
    xxxJennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. I'll keep you posted (pun intended).

      Let me know how you like the products.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  3. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    WOW, you are such a knowledgeable person and I learned a lot from you here.
    Did not know about the SummerSox nor FootGloss and I might love it even more than the Cleansing Water...
    Sending you hugs - did email you also...
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma chère Mariette, I'm so glad you found this post useful. Please let me know if you try any of the products. I'd love your feedback.

      I did get your e-mail and have responded.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  4. I use the Avene cleansing water...it works so quickly that I love it for late night cleansing...you know when you have stayed up late binge watching Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin on Netflix!
    Love that image of the kitty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up on Avene. I'll definitely check it out, on your great recommendation. Would that film be "Nine to Five?" I love that film, too. Dolly Parton was such a hoot!

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...