Sunday, May 31, 2015

Miss Marple's Undies

Despite being a forward-thinking Aquarian, I love the classics -- classic clothes, classical music and classic murder mysteries.  Agatha Christie's are among my favorites.
 

Julia McKenzie as the Delightful Miss Marple

I can’t think of anything more delightful than sharing a pot of tea in my garden with her lavender and tweed sleuth, Miss Marple, even though I run the inevitable risk of someone in my neighborhood being murdered.  She does seem to attract them, doesn’t she?  Murders, that is. 


Agatha Christie never reveals much about Miss Marple’s personal life, past or present.  We know only that she is a spinster, has two sisters, a niece and a nephew, lives in the picturesque village of St. Mary Mead and has an uncanny knack of unraveling even the most complicated of murders (Aren’t they always the most fun??), and making it look easy.  

Beyond that, we know very little about her; however, I think that underneath those ill-fitting tweeds, we can be reasonably certain that Miss Marple is NOT wearing a thong – sensible granny panties is my guess – which, may just make Jane Marple a trend setter.  Huh???  
 

High-Waist Undies from Ten Undies

According to a recent article in The New York Times by Hayley Phelan, “Young Women Say No to Thongs,” young women everywhere are tossing their thongs and rummaging through their granny’s drawers for…..well…. granny’s drawers.    

While the thong is definitely sexy and helps avoid VPL (“Visible Panty Line”), it is downright uncomfortable to wear.  My French Aunt summed it up perfectly “Autant porter du fil dentaire!”  Translation: “You might as well wear a piece of dental floss.”  The comfort level would be about the same and dental floss is cheaper. 

At any rate, if Ms. Phelan is correct, what does this say about young women?  Is it just a question of comfort or is something else going on here? 

There’s no question that comfort is high on the list for most young women.  Low-rise, skinny jeans demand the requisite bikini thong underneath.  But, recently, there has been a definite trend towards high-waisted (i.e., natural waist), looser, “boyfriend” jeans, which means that you can pretty much wear anything you want underneath, and for many young girls, granny panties are the perfectly comfy choice. 

That could be all there is to it; however, I recently read a survey (I forget where it was; do forgive me.) which claimed that young women are having sex less often and enjoying it less than their grannies, who apparently still do it and still enjoy it.  If that sounds shocking (not the part about us grannies still doing it and still enjoying it, thank you very much), just stop and think about it.   



Julia Baylis, left, and Mayan Toledano own Me and You, whose granny panties they model. Credit Isak Tiner for The New York Times

Young women in colleges across the country are told they live in a rape culture, which means that every man they meet is a potential rapist.  As a result, the traditional “Battle of the Sexes” takes place under new Rules of Engagement, in which every maneuver and counter maneuver requires prior approval by both parties.  No wonder they’re doing it less and enjoying it even less!  Are granny panties the new way of saying “Back off, Buddy!?”  Especially, if you’ve got the word “Feminist” (see above) emblazoned across your butt?  Any guy expecting a romantic evening would take one look at that and say to himself, “Oh sh**!!  I just got f***ed, and not in a good way!” 

Of course, I could be wrong on both counts.  Sources of societal and sartorial trends often overlap and can be difficult to spot with the naked eye.  It might just take a Miss Marple in her sensible undies to unravel this mystery. 

14 comments:

  1. Well, my daughter says "granny panties" are given as jokes at lingerie showers . . . but, maybe this is changing . . . I just want pretty and comfy. There's a good middle ground between thongs and Miss Marple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed there is a middle ground, and I have some really pretty and feminine lingerie to prove it. Pretty and comfy is always a good rule of thumb, Deborah.

      Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. Yay!! Miss Marple is a favorite. I personally own and wear "dental floss" and "granny panties" depending on the garment. Whatever young women choose to wear, their bodies are theirs. And uninvited men need to go to hell! I think the rise in "rises" may well play a large roll in this. I applaud the woman's right to choose. Please pardon all puns.
    xoxo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolve you from all "pun"ishment for your puns, which were very good. I own two very sexy thongs (red lace w/strategically placed rhinestones), but I only wear them when I know I won't be wearing them very long, if you catch my drift.

      Are you as happy as I am with natural waists coming back in fashion? I'm sick and tired of pulling up those low-rise jeans.

      Talk soon, my friend.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  3. Fun post! Made me laugh & think - great combo. Personally I could never wear the damn thongs! My take on undies is go comfy or go without ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without? Ooooh, now there's a thought. Very provocative, Cheri.

      Always enjoy your comments.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  4. I have never worn a thong in my life! I tried one on once and it quickly came off and went in the bin. I'm afraid its comfort all the way for me, flattering choices of course. I find seeing young ladies (and unfortunately not so young women) thongs popping out the back of their jeans rather unflattering I'm afraid. A bit like a pregnant young woman bearing her pregnant belly for the world to see - not my cup of tea I'm afraid. I feel one must have a little discretion......

    I think that possibly young women moving into comfortable underwear is just that - comfortable underwear . Not necessary a sign of less intimacy.

    Love Miss M.!

    Thanks M-T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right about the comfort factor rather than "less intimacy". I have worn thongs when dictated by the clothing, but my preference is for soft, cotton bikini panties cut high at the leg, and most of those are in pastel shades, white or nude.

      I love Miss M, too.

      Thanks, EB for stopping by. Always appreciated.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  5. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    Guess Miss Marples already finds a plot from reading these comments... Let her unravel it!
    So funny as I was just the other day rummaging through my Hanro thongs, asking myself why I needed to get all these?! It was true that the no lines made us wear them and some were quite comfortable, depending on the brand.
    But my favorites are the La Perla Boy Shorts... Not the huge old-fashioned granny 'directoire' I recall from seeing on the clothes line when I was a kid. Yes, we called them the French way too.
    Sending you hugs and this was a fun post!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this. I am a big fan of La Perla, as well. My preference runs to high-cut bikinis in comfy cotton for every day. Of course, for those special occasions.......you get my drift, ma chère.

      Big bisous,
      M-T

      Delete
  6. Love this!! I am one of those girls that still wears Victoria's secret thong underwear, the only ones I have found comfortable. I just had to read on about Miss Marple's undies! Great title. I am a huge fan , love the BBC, and must have seen every Miss Marple episode. I wondered if perhaps it was the "Case of the Missing Granny Panties?" haha. Fun post, glad shared with me your blog!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that title, "The Case of the Missing Granny Panties!!" The only thongs I own are from Victoria's Secret, and, yes, they are pretty comfortable, but I have a real penchant for high-cut bikini briefs in Italian cotton. They just feel so wonderful!

      I'm so delighted to have you as a follower, and, of course, am equally delighted to follow you and your fabulous Blog.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  7. I believe I was never a thong girl!
    But I love Miss Marple....Joan Hickson was my fav!
    So practical.
    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Joan Hickson as Miss Marple, too, Barb, although I grew up with Dame Margaret Rutherford. You're probably too young to remember her.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...