Sunday, March 22, 2015

A Rose By Any Other Name Might Just Be a Princess

Sometimes fairy tales really DO come true. 


All it takes is the right Princess and a teensy, weensy waist. 


 

When the lovely Lily James abandoned Lady Rose’s formless flapper frocks for the tight-fitting bodice of a Princess gown for Disney’s new Cinderella, a remake of the 1950 animated classic, I wonder if she realized what a hornet’s nest she would be stirring up with her wasp waist (apologies for the mixed entomology reference).  That tiny waist was achieved by consuming a modern liquid protein drink and donning an old-fashioned corset.   
 
Personally, I like my fairy tales straight, undiluted by political correctness or environmental messages, and, according to the reviews I have read, this 2015 version of Cinderella does just that -- gives it to us straight; but, more than anything else, that cinched waist seems to have thrown feminists into a full-throttled frenzy – yet another reason to see this film, I think. 



The Original Cinderella Gown Displayed in Saks Fifth Avenue's Window
Courtesy of Melissa Long/Facebook
And see it they are – in droves.  Little girls of all ages, who still dream of beautiful ball gowns, handsome princes and glass slippers, are just enchanted by the film.  How wonderful! 
 



 
I saw Walt Disney’s original “Cinderella” when I was a little girl and fell head over heels in love – not with Prince Charming, but with those shoes.  I knew from that moment on that I would spend the rest of my life looking for that perfect pair of shoes, those magical glass slippers that would transform me into a princess.  Who needs Prince Charming when you can have those shoes?
 
Both Disney versions are adapted from a French tale written in 1697 by Charles Perrault, who adapted his tale from the original story by the Countess of Aulnoy.  In the Countess’s tale, the tiny shoes were not glass slippers at all, but red velvet, pearl-encrusted, high-heeled mules.  Try running to catch the last pumpkin out of town in a pair of those!!   For more on the history of this tale, check out my post “Red Shoes and Glass Slippers.” 
 
Wherever you come down on the waist issue, the truth is that Lily James is blessed with a tiny waist even without benefit of corsetry. 
 
 
Getty Images
Here she is at the London Premier of the movie in a romantic Ellie Saab gown fit for a Princess.  





And this is what a modern-day Princess Cinderella wears when invited to dinner at Windsor Castle by a real-life Prince, Prince William.  Now, the big question is – will Julian Fellowes be able to tempt Princess Cinderella back to being Lady Rose for Downton Abbey Season 6? 

 
 


14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear those dreadfully serious, politically correct party-crashers haven't mucked up this movie! Can't wait to see it. The still you shared is gorgeous. Besides Cinderella, did you also notice those floral arrangements?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice those floral arrangements, Deborah. Aren't they just magnificent? Apparently, the entire film is a feast for the eyes. It's on my movie list.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. I've been told that is movie is stunning. I know I couldn't drag my husband to see it so I'll be catching a matinee. She certainly is a stunning girl. Enjoy your week my friend!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about a Mother-Daughter day at the movies? BFF? It's just the sort of thing you can oooh and aaah about w/the girls over afternoon cocktails.

      Talk soon, my Friend.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I love Lily James' looks, she is both modern and classical....(and an ideal Cinderella, of course, plus or minus prince)....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salut ma chère Patrizia, cela fait une éternité, n'est-ce pas?? I agree completely w/your assessment of Lily James' appeal. I think she has a timeless beauty, and I hope to see her career continue to blossom.

      Bisous, M-T

      Delete
  4. Even as a child, when I first heard the Cinderella story, I thought the glass slippers were nonsensical - whoever would want glass shoes? What if they broke? Being rigid, wouldn't be horribly uncomfortable? How could they even look nice, Have you ever seen someone pressing their face against a glass pane on a door? (Maybe you didn't have older brothers, they do things like that, and it isn't pretty). So, I'm very happy to hear that glass slippers were not part of the original story! That said, Lily James is lovely, she's the perfect Cinderella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I'm still laughing at your comments about the glass slippers. Right after the original movie came out in 1950, my Mother bought a pair of faux glass slippers (they were all the rage) -- actually, hers were see-through plastic high heels w/open toes. There was a version w/closed toes, and I have to say that some of those ladies' feet looked like pickled pigs feet in a jar. Even as a child, I knew that glass slippers were more of a fairy tale item than sensible footwear.

      And, yes, I did have a younger brother, and I grew up in a neighborhood with all boys (I was the only girl), so I know exactly what you mean.

      That said, I think you and I would probably love a pair of those red velvet, pearl-encrusted mules, if only to look at.

      As always, I love your comments. Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  5. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    Very well written and the movie will make for great viewing. How precious indeed all our childhood memories and having such a beautiful actress literally 'fitting' the shoe!
    Sending you sunny hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma chère Mariette, happy childhood memories are, indeed, precious. I often wonder what beautiful memories youngsters will have when they reach our age. Sometimes the most seemingly inconsequential thing can be a source of pleasure looking back.

      Hugs back to you on a gray and overcast day.

      Bisous M-T

      Delete
  6. lily rose is the perfect Cinderella + who knew about the original story + thanks for that. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love to add a little background to my pieces, when possible, especially when it's something unexpected.

      Thanks for stopping by, Peggy.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  7. I've never seen what everyone has against mixed metaphors ... properly done, they're an artform! I liked yours.
    Yes, she is such a perfect English Rose, isn't she. I didn't realize the two roles were hers!
    Sad to hear this morning next season will be the last. I'll miss it, especially the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I, too, heard the sad news about the final season. Oh well, the Dowager Duchess can't live forever, and Downton Abbey wouldn't be the same without her, don't you think?

    I don't think we'll ever really say good-bye to those wonderful characters. Rose from Upstairs Downstairs still lives in my heart -- so will the Downton Abbey characters and those fabulous clothes!!!

    Thanks for stopping by, Jan.

    Cheers, M-T

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...