Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Shut Up and Text!

There’s no getting around it – we women love to complain.  It’s in our genes.  But, when I started blogging, I decided that I would do my best to avoid it, or, at least, serve it up with a dash of humor and/or a reasonable solution.   

So, here goes.  I’m about to complain and perhaps do a bit of a rant.  Don’t say you haven’t been warned.




Recently, we were at the opera for a wonderful performance of Don Giovanni.  The Metropolitan Opera is one of the few public places you can go and NOT be annoyed by the ringing of cell phones.  While there may be the occasional slip up during the opera, most of the audience is very respectful of the “please turn off your cell phones” rule clearly stated on signs as you enter the auditorium and in every program.  At intermission, however, every head is bent over I-phones while fingers busily send and receive texts.   

I prefer to spend intermission actually talking (what a concept!!) to friends, one of whom made the following remark:  “You know, I don’t think I’ve seen my grandson’s face in years.  I’m not sure I would even recognize him in a crowd.  All I ever see is the top of his head.”  We all laughed.   

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than seeing young, well-dressed people at the opera, and standing near us were two beautiful young girls equally beautifully dressed.  “Aren’t they lovely,” I said to my husband.  No sooner had I uttered those words, than the spell was broken.  Looking up from their cell phones, they began to speak to each other, and the sound of their voices made us both cringe.   

O.K., here’s where the complaint, dare I say, rant comes in.  What has happened to the voices of young women?  It started with the Valley Girl phenomenon, which we all took as a joke, but seems to have embedded itself into the female voice pattern.  They sound like munchkins on speed – high-pitched, nasal, syllables all run together and that annoying rising inflection at the end of every sentence, which makes them sound tentative and unsure of themselves.   

“Can you imagine spending the rest of your married life listening to that?” my husband said.  “And that’s their happy voice.  Wait ‘til they scream at you to take out the trash.”   

But, wait, just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse…………they’ve added a new and equally annoying vocal quirk to their speech pattern – the vocal fry.   

Here’s what it sounds like:





Have you had enough?  I know I have.  But….I did say that I would temper my complaint/rant by offering up a reasonable solution, and here it is:
 

I never thought I’d hear myself say this, but “Girls, do me a favor; just shut up and text.”

13 comments:

  1. Have you noticed when you purchase something and say,"Thank You", you get, "No problem" in reply?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you are so right! That's another thing that annoys me. Thanks for reminding me. I'll just add it to the ever-growing list.

      Delighted you stopped by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. Manners are shot to hell in this country. That voice is just awful! Trouble is they will text while walking across the street and when they get hit by a car, will complain and sue.
    I always love your rants.
    xx Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manners? Manners? Did someone say Manners?? Where do you go to find those? Downton Abbey, perhaps? You are so right. I do try to keep my rants to a minimum, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog and am delighted!!!! I'm in your camp when it comes to today's young women speaking (?) as they do. I'm usually in a gym class with much younger women and I can barely tolerate listening to them, (after they get through sending their texts, of course!) and you weren't ranting in my book. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am equally delighted that you found me. It's always wonderful to connect with a kindred spirit. You know, there are times when I listen to reality shows and literally have to turn them off because of the annoying speech patterns of the young women. We are definitely worlds away from the elocution lessons of my youth ("How Now Brown Cow.")

      Stop by again, Cheri.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  4. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    How true this is and at times it is scary to think of what in the end will be left... of good manners and speech patterns!
    We're not being loved for saying anything about it either... never mind; I like to speak out though. Loved your post and I'm all with you.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's about time we "speak out" and in our most beautiful voices. Always enjoy your comments so much, my chère Mariette. Sadly, you are correct about good manners and elegant speech patterns being relegated to the dust bin of history. (sigh!)

      Big hugs, M-T

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I find it hurts my ears to listen to the very high-pitched squeaky voice so many young women use now. It goes beyond just being annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have exactly the same reaction, Rita, when I watch a reality show. I can only bear it for a few minutes and then -- CLICK.

      You are absolutely correct when you say it goes way beyond just being annoyed.

      Delighted you stopped by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  6. Thank you, thank you! I didn't know it had a name. I find myself feeling as though when I talk to a young 'lady', who talks like this, she is not interested or discounts anything I am saying. In other words, she knows much more than I do, even at her young age. It's quite dismissive. My husband always referred to it as 'talking from the back of their throat'. He thanked me for not talking like that and then asked me if I could talk like Joan on Mad Men. Ok, I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grams, I didn't know what it was "officially" called either, until I did a little research. Yes, yes, yes, it's sooooo annoying and, as you rightly say, "dismissive." The only bright spot I can offer is that, according to the experts in speech pathology, they will have totally fried their vocal chords by the time they're my age, so they will have to "shut up and text." Of course, I'll be long gone by then, but the thought does put a smile on my face.

      Always love it when you stop by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  7. Well, Ladies, it appears as if I've really hit a nerve with this post, which is a Blogger's dream. In addition to all your wonderful Comments, I received a flood of personal e-mails from people I do and do not know on the subject.

    The following is one of my favorites from my friend, Kate:

    "I know you did not mean this to be funny, but I found it hysterical! It amazes me the lengths that girls will go to make themselves appear anything but themselves. Very observant on your part."

    The truth is, I'm never more serious than when I am being funny.........just ask my husband.

    Cheers, M-T

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...