Monday, February 9, 2015

Best Winter Basics in My Makeup Bag

Brrrrrr.  It’s COLD out there.  It’s time for me to wrap my cold paws around a warm cup of hot chocolate.  Ahhh!  That’s better.  Winter can really be tough on our delicate skin, particularly as we age.  But, there’s no need to go all high-end to battle its effects-- sometimes simple works best. 
 


Here are five simple, yet effective, products you can throw in your makeup kit before you walk out the door that will help you face Old Man Winter with a smile. 
 
 
TINTED LIP GLOSS    
 
 

I love Laura Mercier’s Tinted Lip Gloss in Peach ‘n Glow, but any tinted lip gloss can be a great moisturizer-on-the-go for winter dry lips.  I just glide it over my lips any time I feel the need for a little moisture boost.  Also, a touch on the cheeks or just along the cheekbones is a perfect pick-me-up for dry cheeks.  Not only does it add moisture, but you get a hint of shine and a dash of color – the perfect winter Trifecta. 


 

 
EMERY BOARDS 
 
Emery boards are not only good for filing your nails, but the rougher side, which we are advised to use only on broken nails, is absolutely perfect for smoothing rough skin.  You know those little dry patches you get on your hands in the winter?  Well, just use the rough side of your emery board to buff them away, before adding your hand lotion, and voilà, your hands are soft and smooth.  After all, you never know when some dashing gentleman might decide to give your hands a romantic buss, and you definitely want to make sure they are kissably soft. 
 
 
HAND LOTION
 
Speaking of hand lotion, I am absolutely addicted to Laura Mercier’s Ambre Vanillé body lotion.  I keep the large size in my bathroom and always order a sample size (when available) on line to put in my makeup bag.  Not only is hand lotion a fabulous balm for your hands, but it has other uses as well.  It’s a great cure for the static cling that makes silky fabrics stick to your legs in the winter.  Just rub a little on your legs, right over your hose, and your dress or skirt no longer sticks to your legs.  It’s also a great way to smooth flyaway hair while making your tresses smell sooo delicious. 
 
 
EYE DROPS

 
As we get older, we often find dry eyes can be a problem, particularly in the winter.  I use Soothe Eye Drops to hydrate my dry, irritated, windblown eyes.  You can use it as often as needed and there’s no better way to feel refreshed. 

 
LIP BALM


While we’re on the subject of eyes, do you ever get that crinkly feeling around your eyes in the winter?  Well, Burt’s Bees lip balm doesn’t just work on your lips, it also smooths out that crinkly feeling around your eyes.  Yes, Ladies, I use it as an eye balm whenever I feel that tightness in the outer corners of my eyes.   It works like a charm. 

(M-T Helpful Hint:  When you get the sniffles from one of those nasty winter colds, buy a cheap tube of clear Chapstick, and every time you blow your nose, rub a little on the area around your nose to keep it from getting red and irritated – so much easier than carrying around a jar of Vaseline, n’est-ce pas?  Just don’t forget to throw it away when your cold is gone.  It’s got all those nasty cold germs on it.)

Jack Frost will surely think twice about nipping at your nose when you put your prettiest, softest face forward this winter. 


 

8 comments:

  1. Great tips for wintery days - especially like the lip gloss and lip balm one - Florida is getting cool and windy now, so some of these may come in handy! Thanks so much - Have a wonderful and relaxing week - Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love simple things that work well in a complicated world. Thanks for stopping by, Rosie. Enjoy cool and windy Florida. We're expecting snow up here.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. Love the cat. Have been trying to find the bracelet fasteners you featured from QVC. They don't seem to exist on the UK channel and the USA site do not ship to Europe. They looked so useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to order one from QVC for you and then ship it off to you. Let me know. It would be my pleasure. And, yes, it works really well. Thanks for stopping by. I owe your wonderful Blog a long-overdue visit.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  3. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    Indeed, winter is the hardest season on our skin... Like you I do love those lip glosses and mine are from Chantecaille. Also a winter favorite is my AERIN Beauty Rose Balm lipstick in Lady Beige from Bergdorf Goodman. Very soothing and love its natural look.
    Your tip for the Bee Balm for use around the eyes is a great one.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Mariette,

      Of all the tips I've recommended to my clients, the balm around the eyes is always the one they seem to love most. Sometimes the simplest things can work the best.

      Hugs to you, too, my Dear,
      M-T

      Delete
  4. At -11 degrees this morning, I'm feeling the cold, and the effect on my skin! I need some more hand lotion, so thank you for the LM recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrr !! Actually, our high today was 5, and we're expecting more snow tonight. Where's global warming when you need it?

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...