Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Would You Ask This Woman Out on a Date?

While surfing the web, the other day, I ran across a very interesting article on E Harmony (an online dating service) by Dating and Relationship Coach, Bobbi Palmer.  It was obvious to me that the points she made in her article, “Five Big Online Dating Profile Mistakes Made by Women over 40,” were applicable to any woman of any age looking for that special someone on the internet. 

In a nut shell, Palmer tells us that your Profile is your calling card, so make it count.  Avoid a boring laundry list of likes and dislikes; sell your qualities and what you can bring to the table; don’t be too needy (“I want to be totally devoted...”); don’t be too independent (“I really don’t need a man in my life to be happy, but…”); and don’t be negative or too serious.  Keep your profile fun and light with a dash of humor. 

But, what really caught my attention, was the picture that E Harmony chose to illustrate the article. 
 


Would you ask this woman out on a date?  Based on this Profile picture alone, the average guy would be picking up his IPhone right now.  This, Ladies, is an example of the perfect Profile picture if you don’t want your Profile to be just another face in the crowd. 

What makes this profile photo such a winner?   
  • As soon as you look at the woman in this photo, you feel like smiling in return.  Her smile is warm and inviting, not a big goofy, toothy grin.  It’s the smile of a confident, self-assured woman. 
  • The playful cock of the head is slightly flirtatious and very inviting. 

  • Again, like the head, it’s all about the angles.  The sensual curve of her body says “yes,” while the demurely folded hands say, “maybe…maybe not”  --  very alluring.  The toned, muscular arms clearly show an active woman who takes care of her body. 

  • The relaxed, white T-shirt is a great choice.  Although white can sometimes project sterility and elitism, in this case it projects simplicity and sophistication. 

  • The soft, out-of-focus background puts the focus on her in an open, natural setting, as she leans forward to invite us into her space.  

So, if you are thinking about trying an online dating service, don’t just throw up a Profile and hope for the best.  Sometimes a Selfie just doesn’t cut it. 

 
P.S.:  I must apologize to my Readers for the bizarre formatting in the second half of this Post.  Blogger has done some odd things with this Post, and I can't quite figure out how to UNdo them  So sorry if it makes for difficult reading. 

14 comments:

  1. That is so interesting. I think some of the same tips apply to our profile picture an 'about page' on our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Grace. Any time you want to create a great profile picture, the things I mentioned that make this picture work so well should be kept in mind.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  2. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    Guess after all, this makes for a very balanced introduction and one can at once, weed out a lot of miss-matched relationships.
    Sending you sunny hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balance is absolutely a key element, Mariette, as you so rightly point out.

      Sunny hugs from a rainy, overcast day.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  3. love that photo + her advise is good. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice, indeed, Peggy. Sometimes we need an objective opinion on what makes us look "good" in a photo.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  4. I think blogger ate my comment! These are wonderful tips ! I new a new profile photo, not for dating but for my blog, so these will come in handy.
    Talk soon.
    xoxo my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger does that all the time -- Forget the Cookie Monster! The Comment Monster strikes again!!

      Talk soon, my friend.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  5. Good stuff. I can't see myself ever doing the online dating thing, as I'm happily married. But I love the implications about presenting yourself as a mature woman. I'm taking part in a blogging challenge right now called "Write 31 Days," in which I have to blog every day in the month of October on one topic. The topic I chose? "Gracefully Aging." M-T, I may be mining your blog for ideas! I hope you'll check out my series when you get a chance.

    Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to "mine" away. I love the topic you have chosen -- "Gracefully Aging." As you know well, it is a topic I speak and write about often, whether w/clients or on my Blog. I'll definitely stop by to check out your posts on the subject. Good luck! It's quite a challenge to write every day on a single topic! Luckily, this is a very fertile one.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I absolute LOVE it! You have painted such a flattering portrait of me. Even Mme Mère (were she still w/us) would approve. Merci beacoup, Cindy.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  7. I like the fact that she doesn't happen to be 10 years old. Life doesn't end at 40, contrary to American mentality and culture that doesn't embrace real adults or middle-age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Linda. Life begins wherever you take charge of it and decide to make it your own. Personally, I loved my 40's, my 50's and my 60's are turning out to be great fun, too.

      I am hoping that we baby boomers can truly make a difference in the way the culture values middle age and beyond. Here's hoping.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...