Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Bright Coating for Fall

In a previous post (“My LittleWhite Jacket”) I expressed some mild surprise at the Pantone color choices this fall.  For me, they just didn’t seem to evoke the essence of the season.  Fall is all about cozy warmth and bright, burnished colors. 

This is more of what I had in mind for fall.

The deep, vibrant colors of autumn are the colors of the warm flush of romance and long walks with that special someone in a park ablaze with flame-colored trees.  Make the most of the experience by wrapping yourself in a bright fall coat. 


Talbots

Wrap yourself in the warmth of this plush Alpaca coat ($699) from Talbots  Camel is among the most versatile of fall colors and one of my absolute favorites, and I love the asymmetrical, wing collar.  This classic coat will be among the hardest working pieces in your wardrobe. You can throw it over anything from skinny jeans to a cocktail dress and it will always look just right. 
 
 
 
Neiman Marcus
I fell hard for this Eileen Fisher Kimono Coat ($378) in bright mustard from Neiman Marcus.  One of my favorite coats during the 80s was a ¾ swing coat in this shade, and every time I wore it I got compliments.  Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and my favorite coat with its BIG 80s shoulder pads went out of style (tant pis!). 
 
This modern reincarnation just makes my heart skip a beat.  It’s got the same shawl collar, open front, drop-shouldered sleeves and big front pockets.  While the sassy silhouette of my old swing coat was fun, the cocoon shape on this beauty is warm and inviting. 
 
 
Talbots
A gorgeous, reversible, double-faced jacket ($298) in crimson/mulberry from Talbots, the color alone will get you noticed.  The detailing at the waist is so flattering, and the jewel neck works beautifully with scarves and turtle necks. Reversible jackets are great traveling companions, too. 

 
And, speaking of a great traveling companion…………….

 
Nordstrom
This reversible scrunch-neck coat ($228) in a beautiful shade of bronze is THE perfect travel coat.  The pleated collar extends to a hood, it’s lightweight, water-repellent, wrinkle-resistant, machine-washable, reverses to black and comes with its own bag to pack it away.  How great is that?  You can’t go wrong with this coat. 
 
And, of course, you simply cannot get through fall without a great trench coat like this one from London Fog (on sale for $93.98) in iridescent burgundy, available at Nordstrom (online only).  It’s got all the features we love in a classic trench:  removable belt, epaulets, storm flaps, side-slit pockets, belted cuffs and back vent.  It’s lined, water resistant and washable.  And what a fabulous fall color! 
 
 

In his poem, “Locksley Hall,’ Alfred, Lord Tennyson, tells us that “In the spring a young man’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.”  Spring may be the season of young love, but fall is the season of mature love, of love fulfilled, and I love wrapping myself in its colors. 

2 comments:

  1. I do love those coats! The colors would not be kind to my complexion, but the shapes!! Fabulous. I have vivid memories of my Leopard swing coat from the eighties with it's linebacker shoulder pads. I thought I was so chic...perhaps I was at the time. It's still too warm for coats out here in CA, but a woman can dream.
    Have a great week my friend!
    xo~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the styles. would probably need some of them in navy.

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...