Monday, August 18, 2014

How to Calculate the True Value of a Wardrobe Basic


You’re strolling through Neiman Marcus and you spy this adorable J Brand Denim Jacket.  You look at the tag and see that it’s a touch over $200, so you wonder if it’s worth the price. 

How do you know if you’re getting good value for your hard-earned money?  Just follow my simple formula and you'll know:
 

n     First, determine the number of garments in your wardrobe that can be worn with it. 

Let's say that you have 1 dress, 2 pairs of slacks and 2 skirts that can be worn with your new jacket, which makes a total of 5 garments.


n     Now, divide the cost of your new jacket by “5”  ($200/5 = $40)

Your $200 jacket has now been reduced to a cost of $40.


n     Now, estimate the number of times you will wear your new jacket per year. 

Let’s say that you will wear it 20 times in one year. 


n     Now divide that $40 by “20” ($40/20 = $2)

Your $200 jacket has now been further reduced to a cost of $2


n     Finally, estimate the number of years you will wear your new jacket.

 Let’s say you will wear it for 5 years.


n     Now, divide that $2 by “5” ($2/5 = 40 cents)

Your $200 jacket has been reduced to a cost of 40 cents.   Wow!  I don’t know about you, but that’s good value for money in any woman’s book. 

8 comments:

  1. Great formula! I have garments in my wardrobe that cost me less than one cent!! It's great advice for your readers to use.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pieces to which I owe money, like my ecru lace jacket that goes with everything from skinny jeans to the LBD.

      Always love your comments, my dear friend.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  2. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    Well, provided that you keep your size they all end up costing next to nothing! And as to white jeans jackets, I got one from NM years back and still use it. Another white one from Escada with strawberry lined cuffs and collar and one in cream linnen/cotton that I did wear Saturday night over my silk dress as it was very cold at the restaurant... Keeps us happy!
    Love your wording here; SO TRUE!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Mariette,
      I'll bet you're exactly the same size now as the day you and Pieter got married. How lucky you are! Most of us can't say the same. Still, if we get five years and good wear out of a great wardrobe basic, it's earned its keep.

      Big Bisous, ma chère,
      M-T

      Delete
  3. Cost per wear is a great yardstick to use before a major purchase. I have garments in my wardrobe that must be in the minus category by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, there are many pieces in my closet that could quite easily present me w/a hefty bill for many years of loyal service.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  4. That is a really clever formula, M-T. Thanks to you, I just ordered the Banana Republic leather jacket I had been spying on for a few weeks ;-) According to my calculations, it will end up costing a few cents, maybe less. Thank you for helping me decide, and for stopping by chez moi today. Hugs, Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you must send me a picture of you in your new 2 cent jacket. Véro's new look continues to evolve. I love it!!

      Big bisous, ma chère,
      M-T

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...