Friday, March 21, 2014

Put Your Best Face Forward This Spring

Spring officially arrived yesterday, and I couldn’t be more delighted.  Frankly, my love affair with winter was beginning to cool, and a spring fling is just what the doctor ordered. 

In my previous post Is There No Loyalty Left in the World?,” among other things, I talked about brand loyalty (or lack thereof) to makeup and beauty products.  I mentioned that, while I mix and match colors and high end/low end makeup lines, I am essentially loyal to my favorite makeup line, LauraMercier.   So, I’d like to introduce you to some new finds and some old friends from Laura’s line.   


I don’t know about you, but this winter’s frigid exteriors and over-heated interiors took a toll on my skin.  Like most women I have combination skin -- oily T zone; drier cheeks.  This winter I noticed some dry patches for the first time in my 60+ years. 

So, when I got a sample of Laura Mercier’s Repair Crème with my on-line order a few months ago, I decided to try it.  Because I have very delicate, sensitive skin that is easily irritated, I approach new skin products with extreme caution.  Imagine my delight when, after only a few days, I noticed a big difference in how my skin felt and looked.  I was, however, less delighted with the price -- $98 for a 1.7 oz/50 g jar.  Still, there’s no denying that you get what you pay for, and I don’t mind (well, not much) paying for a product that really delivers on its promises.  Maybe it’s the Yeast Extracts or the Peptides or the Argan Oil, but whatever it is, it works.  I use it sparingly at night, but it can also be used in the morning, if you prefer. 

 
 
Laura’s new spring Renaissance color collection ($55) for eyes and cheeks is just gorgeous.   Spring is all about youth and rebirth, and the bright cheek colors are the perfect way to bring a youthful flush to your cheeks.  The neutral eye shadows work with any eye color, and they have a lovely shimmer to them. 
 
A word of caution, Ladies, shimmering eye shadows, while beautiful on young eyelids, are not as flattering on those of us d’un certain âge.  I always advise choosing matte eye shadows; however, a little shimmer on the brow bone (usually the smoothest part of the eye area) can really open up the eye. 
 
And, if you want to do a little shimmer on the eyelid for evening, here’s a trick I often use.  I take a shimmer shadow, such as Laura Mercier’s Star Fruit (my favorite), and put it on the brow bone and the lid, then go over the lid with a matte powder, such as Cashmere.  That way, I get just a hint of shimmer on the lid.  It works beautifully.  I finish with a deeper, matte shade in the crease, such as Bamboo and I’m good to go. 

Of course, you might want to create your own color collection.  In that case……


Just pick up Laura’s 6-well, Customizable Compact case for $10 (also comes in 3-well), choose your favorite blush and eye shadow shades and pop them in.  No more hunting through your makeup drawer; everything’s in one slim, take-it-anywhere-with-you case. 

Mine contains two blushers and four eye shadows, and I never travel without it. 
 
Kate Bosworth - photo courtesy of iVillage

This spring, you’ll be seeing a lot of bright, orange lips.  The color orange actually comes from autumn’s color palette (my color palette) and is not an easy color to wear, especially on your lips.  My daytime lipstick for lo these many years has been Laura’s Crème Lip Color in Tangerine.  It’s more subtle than orange, but still brightens my face and works beautifully with my skin tones and red hair. 
 
Our eyebrows seem to need more attention as we age.  For the last few years, I have been filling mine in with Laura’s Brow Definer Gel ($20) in Soft.  It’s a wax/gel formula that looks totally natural and really lasts through the day.  The jar is small, but you only use a tiny bit, so it lasts forever.  At night, if I want a more dramatic brow, I’ll mix it with a deeper shade of eye shadow.  Eye shadow by itself is too powdery to stay put, but mixed with the waxy gel, you get a custom color that will stay put all night. 


Here’s a brief, how-to video on eyebrows from iVillage that you may find helpful. 
 



Next time, I’ll pick up on some of my favorite spring trends.  See you then…….

7 comments:

  1. It's always interesting to read about new or different products. Unfortunately I'm not an autumn girl so tangerine/ orange won't be for me this season - I'll just have to stick with to classic colours for my skin tone. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Elizabeth, as always. What is your skin tone? Do you tend to the cool side (summer/winter)?

      Delete
  2. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    Lovely choices and I too would fall in love with the crème lip color in tangerine but Nordstrom's Laura Mercier's collection does not have a single one at present. I hate it always when a favorite vanishes...
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hate when a favorite beauty products is "out of stock." Have you tried ordering directly from Laura's website?

      Warm hugs, M-T

      Delete
  3. I love Laura's cosmetics but haven tried their skin care products. I've gotten so extra dry this winter and I'm also sensitive, but if you really love this, I'll give it a try. I just bought that 6 section pallet last week!! I may need another one too. I've so many of her colors, they really are fabulous. I can't do orange lips myself, but imagine its fabulous on you. Enjoy your weekend friend. xoJennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be a "cool" gal -- summer palette? I just love the customizable color palette. Would love to know what your favorite Laura colors are. BTW, the other big lip color for spring/summer is lavender. Frankly, I think lavender lips gives one a vaguely corpse-like appearance. Not a look I would go for.

      Hope your weekend was wonderful, dear friend.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
    2. I'm definitely cool colored. Totally agree about the corpse look. I can't do purple eye shadows either, I look like a prize fighter! Enjoy your week, my friend!
      xoxoJennifer

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...