Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Touch of Denim Chiconomics



In 1962, “The Beverly Hillbillies” made its TV debut in American homes, and daughter Elly May Clampett did things for a pair of dungarees (as we called them then) that nobody had ever done before. 

And, instantly, millions of red-blooded American boys and their larger version, American men, fell in love with Donna Douglas, who played the sassy Elly May. 

“Ain’t it amazin’, Pa, what a pair a skintight jeans tied with a little bitty ol’ piece a rope can do?”  

Well…… maybe not so “amazin’” when they’re on a cute blonde with a little ol’ southern accent and gorgeous curves. 






Olivier Rousteing’s “Jean Total Look Années 1980” for Balmain, spring/summer 2013

 We no longer call them dungarees or even blue jeans.

Today, they’re simply called jeans and, whether skinny, straight–leg or boot cut, they’re an essential item in every woman’s wardrobe. We cannot get along without them, and the search for that perfect pair is an eternal quest.

According to Madame Figaro, 60 pairs of jeans are sold worldwide every second!!

Need I say more about how much we love our jeans?

There are internet shopping sites devoted entirely to jeans, such as “The Corner.”
  
Monday, April 15th, was Tax Day across the United States, the deadline for filing our yearly income tax forms.  On that day, we either got to see how much money the government had already taken out of our paychecks (yikes!), or we got to write a check for the money we still owed to the government (double yikes!!).  Either way, it was a day that left most of us with heavy hearts and lighter purses. 

And, so, I thought it might cheer things up a bit to look at some great little jean items that won’t do any serious damage to our budgets this spring.  Think light and breezy and “chiconomic.” 
 
 
The denim pencil skirt is a great classic, but how about something a bit more fun for spring?   

What about a bloom of flowers on a denim flared skirt? 

Can’t you just see this with a pair of strappy sandals or cute wedges? 

The “Darling Daydreams” skirt is available at Modcloth for a very chiconomic $39.99. 



I don’t know about you, but a denim jacket is an absolute must-have for me, and it doesn’t have to be blue. 

This cream-colored denim jacket from Forever 21 will quickly become one of your go-to pieces this spring. 

I have a fitted one that I’ve worn for years.  I just throw it in the washer, leave it slightly wrinkled for a casual look or press it off for a more polished look. 

This nifty little number is a very budget-friendly $27.80. 

Practically a steal!!!!



Of course, we all know by now that polka dots are really “hot” for spring and summer. 

These polka dot jeans will not only keep you on the cutting edge of style, but, at $15.88 (“No, your eyes do NOT deceive you.”) they won’t make even the tiniest ding in your budget.

Now THAT’s what I call Chiconomic. 

These “Faded Glory” jeans are available at Walmart. 


And, let’s not forget a touch of denim for our tootsies. 

Aren’t these adorable? 

These Juicy Couture “Salla” espadrilles are on sale for $49 (half price!) at Jildor. 

At that price, I wouldn’t wait too long to snap them up. 



This pretty denim posy is just perfect for lazy summer days at the beach when the last thing we want to do is fuss with our hair. 

Just slip your ponytail into this and you will look ever so pulled together and chic. 

The L. Erickson “Catalina” flower pony is available at Franceluxe for only $42. 


Finally, it’s time to add a little touch of denim to your eyes for evening. 

Try a sheer wash of Premium Denim shadow from Napoleon Perdis Color Disc. 

Available at Ulta for $25, this highly pigmented eye shadow will add depth and drama to your eyes for a night out on the town. 


Feeling better?  I thought so.  A touch of denim chiconomics always does the trick. 

11 comments:

  1. Lots of fun ways to wear denim... love the skirt... xv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Isn't it just darling?

      Thanks for stopping by.

      M-T

      Delete
  2. What a fun post my dear M-T! Great selection. My favorites are the pretty skirt and the denim sneakers... In fact, I might have to fly over to Jildor and snatch a pair :-) Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of fun is always in order, ma chère Véro. Glad you came along for the ride. I love your picks, too. The skirt and the sneakers are my favorites, although.........that adorable denim flower might just wind up in my red curls. Qui sait? On verra.

      Big bisous, M-T

      Delete
  3. What would we do without them. I think I have found my perfect Brand NYDJ they suit me to a T as they say. Especially useful when playing with my 3 yr old grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. NYDJ for me, too. Now, if only I had grandchildren to romp around with, the picture would be complete.

      Have fun with your little grandson.

      Warm regards, M-T

      Delete
  4. Each one is fabulous! The flowered skirt + the denim shoooes are my picks. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, so far they seem to be leading the pack of favorites. They get my vote, as well.

      Thanks for stopping by, M-T

      Delete
  5. Dearest Marie-Thérèse,
    Merci beacoup et plus pour cette information de Franceluxe! We used to find special pony tail bows in the upscale Japanese department store in Jakarta but since 2001 we have not been there anymore... You would not believe for how long I have searched a denim rose! Also one in military green. Thanks dear friend; it was meant to meet you for obvious reasons.
    Oh, the Beverly Hillbillies, we watched in The Netherlands and my Papa was very fond of them.
    I too own several jeans jackets and one is solid white. They always make for a casual, yet polished look.
    Very interesting writing and above all; helpful.
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that I was able to find a denim rose for you. You must let me know how you like it.

      I can only imagine what the Clampetts sounded like in Dutch. How do you do an American southern accent in Dutch?

      I knew you would have a white jean jacket. We are truly kindred spirits.

      So glad we have connected through our Blogs. Perhaps, one day, we will meet "en chair et en os, ma grande."

      Warm hugs,

      M-T

      Delete
    2. Oh, the Clampetts did sound for real as in The Netherlands they always used under title... Guess that worked best and we did not lose any of their southern accent!
      You will certainly hear about the denim rose and the military colored one!
      Hugs,
      Mariette

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...