Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Polka Dots for Spring


Spring is just around the corner, but she’s been playing peek-a-boo from around that corner for a few weeks now. 


This AP photo was taken on Monday in front of Independence Hall in Philadelphia. 

The next day was cold and overcast.

Today, the sun is shining, a light breeze is blowing and I’m tempted to put away the snow paraphernalia for another year.


Can this be the week spring finally decides to give up her childish game and make an appearance? 

…Just in time for Easter egg hunts on green lawns? 


Courtesy of Etsy
When I think of the Easters of my childhood, I always see myself in a dotted swiss dress. 

Sometimes it was pink, sometimes white, sometimes blue. 

Once, it was a beautiful navy blue (my favorite Easter dress), but no matter the color, the pattern was always the same. 

Dotted swiss, Easter and spring all go together for me. 


This spring, dotted swiss for big girls, the polka dot, is back, and it’s everywhere. 

Enfin a fashion trend that everyone can wear!

I just adore polka dots (les pois in French)…..

……big ones, little ones and everything in between. 

They are young and fun, and they make me smile. 

 
I already know what you’re going to ask me. 


Q:  “Do I have to wear them with solids only?”

A:  “No.”
 

Q:  “Can I wear them with other patterns?” 

A:  “Yes.” 




 
 
Polka dots look great with stripes (also hot this spring).
 
It’s all in the proportions.
 
This is a bold look, mostly because of the bright yellow color, but it all works together beautifully.

The polka dots are fairly large, but the stripes on the Tee underneath are narrow.
 
And the polka dots on the shoes are small.

This may be a bit much for the average woman to pull off, but it is adorable.
 
 
This is a great way to mix polka dots and stripes that is easier to pull off for the average (i.e., non-stick thin, vertically-challenged) woman. 
 
This young lady has mixed a black-and-white polka dot top with a purple, pin-striped cotton skirt and topped it off with a fringed scarf in mustard and neutral shoes. 
 
Notice that the pattern proportions are all small scale and do not fight each other for attention. 
 
The pop of color in the scarf adds a bright touch of spring. 
 
 
 
Of course, if you are still hesitant to dive head first into the polka dot pool, you can always opt for an elegant polka dot scarf. 
 
Drape it around your neck or wrap it around your head to instantly transition your look into spring. 
 
For all things foulards, visit Playing with Scarves to learn everything you need to know about scarves from la reine des foulards, my fabulous friend, Anne Touraine. 
 
This photo comes from her Blog, which is an absolute must read. 
 
Now it’s your turn.  Add some pretty polka dots to your wardrobe this spring.  I guarantee it will make you smile every time you look in the mirror. 


10 comments:

  1. I really like polka dots, but the only thing I have with them on it were a pair of tights that just bit the dust. I have embraced the stripes look, but not the dots, although may have to change. I would definitely wear the dots with the mini-stripes look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a funny thing about polka dots, you either love them or you hate them. In your case, you "really" like them, so I'll put you in the love category.

      Try the stripes and dots together. You may just "love" the way they look on you.

      As ever, thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. I love, love polka dots. I bought a lovely pair of espadrilles in Provence last spring in taupe and white polka dots. I think I'm needing a navy blouse this spring in dots!!
    As always a great post. Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love, love them, too. Those espadrilles sound just tooooo cute for words, so........how about a picture?

      You definitely need a navy blue blouse with white polka dots this spring!! I've already dug mine out from last year. As you can see, I'm a perennial polka dotter.

      Happy hunting!

      As ever, thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Cheers, M-T

      Delete
  3. love me some polka dots + never thought of pairing them with stripes, love that idea. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, Peggy. You'll love it. I promise.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      xoxo, M-T

      Delete
  4. All I can say is where did you find my old Easter dress. I thought Mom gave it away decades ago.
    Many thanks for the memory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it carefully wrapped in tissue paper in your attic. Your Mom did'nt give it away, she saved it along with all those happy childhood memories.

      Happy Easter.

      Warm regards, M-T

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your great post, Ma chère cop, and thanks for your very kind words about my blog. Tu es adorable comme toujours.
    I confirm: Polka dots are all around, including in Paris - where I am for a few days as you know. As a fashion coach and stylist you know exactly how to nicely match different patterns. Your first photo - the one which shows polka dots + stripes - is just perfect. As you say it's all about proportions. I am with you. I vote for polka dots. all sizes, all colors.
    Mille bisous de France - où il fait beau mais très froid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cela me fait toujours plaisir d’écrire et de parler de ton super Blog.

      Je vous souhaite (toi et ton papa) quoique tardivement une très joyeuse Fête de Pâques. J’espère que le temps en France fera moins froid puisque tu en as sûrement perdu l’habitude, ma chère cop expat du Sud des E-U.

      Mille et un bisous, M-T

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...