Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Warm and Cozy Winter Wedding

Photo by Rebekah Westover
Did you know that January is the least popular month of the year for weddings?
 
It’s a pity, really.   
 
Because, I can’t think of anything more beautiful and romantic than to start off a new year by celebrating your new life together with a warm and cozy winter wedding, can you?
 


Winter Wedding Place Card Decor by Melinda L' Photography
Yes, there are the obvious concerns about the weather, but I have yet to attend a wedding in June (the most popular month for weddings) in which the bride did not drive herself, and everyone else, crazy worrying about whether or not it would rain on her wedding day.

And how many pairs of shoes have I ruined trudging through wet grass, because the bride insisted on having her wedding in the garden, as planned, even though it had rained the night before?

And how many times have I sat fricaseeing on a folding chair in the stifling heat of August (the second most popular month), while the bride and groom stood in the shade of a leafy canopy gazing lovingly into each other’s eyes?

 

Photo by Dasha Wright
There’s definitely something magical about a winter white wedding in January.

The Holiday festivities are behind us, but we can still feel their glow. We’re not quite ready, just yet, to let go of that celebratory feeling.

Over the years, as an image consultant, I have dressed mothers of the bride and mothers of the groom, but never the bride, herself. It was a decision I made early in my career. 

Helping the bride to choose her perfect dress for her perfect day is a specialty best left to the experts, and every time I catch an episode of “Say Yes to the Dress,” the hugely successful series filmed at one of the country’s biggest and best Bridal Salons, Kleinfeld, in Manhattan, I am reminded that I made the right decision. 

Every day they deal with brides who don’t know what they want, are too specific about what they want, or are just impossible to please. Yet, somehow, very few brides leave without buying a dress, which is a tribute to the tenacity, perspicacity, experience and expertise of the Kleinfeld bridal consultants. Bravi tutti!

Because of the business I am in, when I do go to weddings, I am always asked for my opinion on the bride’s dress, and I always say the same thing -- “She looks absolutely lovely” -- because it’s almost always true, and because you never know who is listening.

 
If I were one day to throw caution to the winds and decide to dress a bride for a winter wedding, I would put her in something simple, sleek and chic – something timeless.

And for that, I would go straight to my favorite wedding dress designer, Rosa Clara.

This Spanish designer uses only the finest fabrics to create her unique silhouettes, at once modern and traditional. Expert tailoring allows her gowns to drape perfectly, while maintaining a highly structural, almost architectural, shape.

You will find everything from traditional ball gowns, with a Rosa Clara twist, to bias-cut and Grecian-inspired gowns that flow like liquid with every movement.

So, what would I choose for my bride? Drum roll, please.

Ladies, may I present to you my elegant winter bride:

 
The Elegant Winter Bride




Peep toe pumps
etsy.com



Bridal earrings
etsy.com



Blue ring
etsy.com



Bridal hat
recycledbride.com



10 comments:

  1. Ma chère M-T. You made me feel sorry I got married on the last day of September! I absolutely loved your montage for the elegant winter bride. Truly lovely (and I hope you're listening :-) As for winter weddings in January, I'd say "absolument," but in the right place. New York city, Paris, a beautiful town, sure. My soggy, chilly, moss-infected corner of the "boonies" in the Pacific Northwest, "absolument pas!" -- No bride would want to share her special day with that much rain and that many banana slugs! Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh bien ma chère Véro, I was married in September as well, and I don't feel the least bit sorry about it. Timing is everything in life.

    I couldn't agree more about the right place -- New York or Paris would be absolutely perfect.

    But, I must plead ignorance....what in heaven's name are banana slugs?

    Gros bisous, M-T

    ReplyDelete
  3. The timing of this post is lovely, as my grandparents' wedding anniversary was January 6th. I guess I always knew my grandmother was ahead of the fashion curve, and this is proof enough for me. :)

    As always, your insight is right 'on'. As a bride married in an October wedding because Fall is one of my favorite things, and because a January wedding just doesn't 'go' with the accountant lifestyle :), if I had to do it again, this makes January very appealing! No nod to the banana slugs. :)

    A bientot,
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment you have shared with us about your grandparents; however, I still have no idea what banana slugs are......

      A bientôt.
      M-T

      P.S.: We're heading into accountant season. Time for you to gear up. I don't know how you do it, but I'm grateful you do. Gros bisous.

      Delete
  4. Chère amie,
    never say never.... You would obviously do a fabulous job coaching brides. Your selection of items show once again how great and delicate your taste is! And the Spanish designer you mentioned has such lovely dresses!
    I am thinking of divorcing .......then re marrying... the same one (he still makes me melt). Would you accept to coach a not so young bride??? By the way we married on a rainy September day (lots of shoes ruined including mine) and though the weather was awful I confirm that the old saying "mariage pluvieux mariage heureux" is true. At least for us it is...
    Big bisous,
    Anne (Playing with Scarves)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divorce is much too expensive. Why not just marry him again, so to speak, by renewing your vows?

      You could have a beautiful ceremony and I would get to dress the beautiful bride. Très honorée, ma belle.

      Big bisous,
      M-T
      P.S.: J'adore ce dicton, "mariage pluvieux mariage heureux." C'est bien vrai.

      xoxo, ta cop du Nord

      Delete
  5. What an honor it would be to have you dress the not so young bride. Get ready to work hard....
    I understand you got married on a rainy day too :-) :-) :-)
    Vive la pluie! vive l'amour! Et au diable les chaussures abîmées!
    xoxo,
    Anne (Playing with Scarves)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you, I've always dreamed of having my wedding in January, with a light snow fall in pictures. It would be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jordan, I wish you the most beautiful January wedding imaginable with all the magic you dream of.

      Lovely to hear from you. Please stop by again.

      M-T

      Delete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent. However, due to a recent flood of SPAM comments, I have had to restrict Anonymous comments.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...