Tuesday, October 16, 2012

You’re Never Too Old to Baby Your Face

Our baby skin was fragile, easily irritated and needed special care.

So, mothers chose skin care products specifically created to gently cleanse and protect our delicate skin.

 
As teenagers, we examined every square inch of our faces each morning for that budding break out that would wreak havoc on our social lives.

Yikes! Where’s my zit zapper (i.e., Clearasil)?

 
As we approached our thirties, we thought we were home free. And most of us were……….for a while.

But then, in our forties, those morning examinations in the bathroom mirror took on a new and terrifying dimension.

Yikes! What’s that? Is that a line? Oh, no….Doubles Yikes!!…….. Is that a wrinkle?


So, in our forties, we bought our first miracle creams and started giving ourselves facials using homemade remedies recommended by our mothers or touted in the beauty pages of the “Ladies Home Journal” and “Cosmopolitan” as the (just-between-us-girls) beauty secrets of our favorite movie stars.

Well, heck, if this was what kept those perfect, peaches-and-cream complexions in the pink, surely it would do the same for us, n’est-ce pas?

 
Then, we hit our fifties and the cucumber eye patch just didn’t cut it anymore. We had a decision to make.

Did we bring in the “Big Guns” (Botox, fillers, plumpers, smoothers, nips and tucks) or just let nature take its course?

I made the decision not to bring in the “Big Guns,” but I still wanted to take the best care of my skin that I could, in a natural, non-invasive way.

 
As we age, our skin gets thinner and more fragile, which means that for those of us with fair complexions, our skin becomes even more delicate and easily irritated.

In my forties, I had my first and last facial done by an esthetician who came highly recommended. It took weeks for my skin to recover.

By my fifties, I decided it was time to go back to basics – baby basics.

If it worked for me then, why wouldn’t it work for me now?

 
I started washing my face with Aveeno Baby “Soothing Relief Creamy Wash” and found it worked even better than my expensive cleansing cream at taking off my makeup, and the colloidal oatmeal it contained was very soothing.

I had already been using Aveeno’s daily moisture lotion, also containing colloidal oatmeal, and I continue to do so.

 
For years, I had been trying various sunscreens and, regardless of price, everything felt heavy and greasy and irritated my skin.

Then, I remembered my mother’s favorite remedy for winter rashes – zinc oxide cream – which was the main ingredient in the Desitin Ointment she used for diaper rash.

Zinc oxide is also a broad spectrum sunscreen. Remember those summer lifeguards with the white gunk on their noses?

Aveeno Baby makes a diaper rash cream whose main ingredient is zinc. Like Desitin Ointment, it looks white in the tube but is lighter and leaves no white residue. It has now become my go-to sunscreen. After smoothing on a thin layer, I add my Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer (SPF20) on top, powder to set, and I’m good to go.

 
This February, I turned 60 and, yes, Ladies, I admit it………….I refused to even acknowledge it, much less celebrate it.

Two months ago, however, my girlfriends finally succeeded in dragging me out to celebrate over High Tea and champagne at the Four Seasons. With a glass of champagne in one hand and the other hand free to take on the world, I think I’m now ready to face my sixties.

I have no idea what this new decade has in store for me, but I do know one thing for sure -- this senior citizen will be buying her beauty products in the Baby aisle.

14 comments:

  1. Eh bien ma chère M-T... 60 ans, vraiment? I can't believe it. I would recommend you stick to your daily routine (and Aveeno baby products,) because whatever you have been doing has worked really well for you! And congratulations to your girlfriends for taking you out to celebrate in style... Joyeux anniversaire avec quelques jours de retard... Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh bien ma chère Véronique c'est vrai...60 ans. C'est fous ce que le temps passe si vite........presque inaperçu.

      I will probably need to tweak my beauty routine as time passes, but, for now, "if it ain't broke...."

      Merci de tes voeux tant appréciés et jamais trop tard.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, dear Elle. I will think of them the next time I look in the mirror and think, "Who are you and what have you done with my face?"

      Delete
  3. Too funny and what a great idea!! My skin is very fragile now. I do love Merciers tinted moisturizer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fragile skin needs to be handled very gently and with TLC.

      I have never been able to tolerate harsh creams, Retin "A," etc.

      For me, and probably for you as well, less is more.

      I love Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizers, too. I use the porcelain shade and mix in a dash of nude for warmth.

      So delighted you took the time to stop by.

      Enjoy the rest of your week.

      P.S.: Hope things are better for you now.

      Delete
  4. Hello i really like your blog and your writing, I hope you can visit my blog. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nganjuk, I'm so glad you like my blog. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will definitely visit your blog.

      Please stop by again.

      Delete
  5. Baby products must work because your skin looks excellent. I use BioDerm baby wash to clean my face when I am in France.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind words about the appearance of my skin. Less is definitely more when it comes to taking care of it -- the less I do, the better it likes it.

    Great tip on BioDerm baby wash. I'll definitely check it out when I'm in France.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and have been looking through your older posts. I am une femme d'un certain age as well. I am definitely going to check out the Aveeno baby! I have been reading that most of the sunscreens out there have toxic ingredients in them, and zinc oxide is safe and effective. Thanks for the tip! I will be a regular reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so delighted you found me and that I may count you among my regular readers. Do try some Aveeno baby products and let me know how they work for you. Of course, skin care is a very personal thing -- what works for one may not work for another. You can also try Cetaphyl "Gentle" Cleansing Lotion, available at the drugstore, and, if you need a bit more moisture, add in a touch of your favorite face cream. I often do that in the winter months.

      Cheers, Deborah, M-T

      Delete
  8. I think this is among the most significant information for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna
    remark on few general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really great
    : D. Good job, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I simply just say what a relief to find someone who truly
    knows what they are discussing on the web. You actually
    know how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    More and more people need to look at this and understand this
    side of your story. I was surprised you are not more popular because you certainly have the gift.

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...