Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Too Fat to Fight Back? Think Again!

Life is often unfair, and I have lived long enough to accept that.  But I cannot accept or excuse gratuitous cruelty.  That, my dear Readers, really sets me off on a red-haired rant. 

As an image consultant and personal style coach, I spend a great deal of my time teaching women how to dress the bodies they have, not the bodies they once had or would like to have.  Weight is an emotionally-charged issue for most women.  (I always keep a box of tissues handy.)  Working from the outside in, my goal is to help them see themselves in a new way and, hopefully, to love and accept what they see.   

And then along comes one of those cruel swipes delivered via the internet. 

A 37-year-old anchor/reporter at WKBT-TV in La Crosse, Wisconsin, was the recipient, and the subject was her weight. 

Yesterday, on the air, she took on her critic in a full, frontal assault, delivered with strength, sincerity and incredible grace. 

This rates a big "ATTA GIRL" !!

Enjoy!  I know I did!




I just had to share.....

8 comments:

  1. Very interested indeed, and she is one brave, and articulate lady. Still, I found most comments following the YouTube video very interesting... I honestly expected more encouraging or positive remarks after watching it, and yet, and yet... Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I was disheartened by most of the YouTube comments. So many were profane, vulgar and insensitive. The internet appears to provide great cover for the rantings of angry, unhappy people. So sad.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I agree, Grace. It is hard to believe that there are those who can be so thoughtless. You don't have to be overweight to know how she felt receiving that e-mail.

      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  3. A very powerful message. I am so glad that I am no a young person who has to deal with the many and increasingly complex issues of growing up in today's society. Unfortunately there are too many bullies in positions of responsibility who perpetuate bullying. I teach in a school where the student leaders for this coming year have just been announced and sadly many of them have been or continue to be bullies. Teaching staff no longer are able to discuss the choice of student leaders. No doubt you have guessed the personality of those who selected the student leaders for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are so insightful, Elizabeth. I, too, spent many years as a teacher, and I'm glad I am no longer either in a position that forces me to stand idly by or forced to deal with the situation as a student. Yes, I can absolutely guess the personality of those who selected the students leaders for 2013.

      There are times when, as Maurice Chevalier sang in "Gigi," "I'm glad I'm not young anymore." Age has its compensations.

      Delete
  4. OMG! How rude and mean! I can't believe some people can be so crual. I think her answer is smart, clever, to the point and very noble. She responded like a Lady! She is the kind of person I'd like to have as a friend.
    Cette nana là, elle est super!
    Thanks for this moving post, M-T.
    Bizzz,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are absolutely correct, ma chère cop. I've met people who feel they have a God-given (dare I say Government-protected) right to say anything they think, regardless of how hurtful or foolish it is. We all need to exercise our rights to let them know what insolent fools they are, n'est-ce pas?

    I think, as you said, she did it beautifully.

    Bisous et à bientôt, M-T

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...