Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Short and Chic – In Praise of the Pixie

Summer is a wonderful time for flowy fabrics and long, sun-kissed hair; but, romantic summer afternoons have turned to cool autumn evenings.  Time for a sleeker, more sophisticated silhouette, and, perhaps, you should start with your hair. 

How about something short and chic?  When I think of something short and chic, I think of the classic pixie.  And when I think of the classic pixie, I think of the tiny French woman who wore it to perfection --  Zizi Jeanmaire. 

 

Zizi Jeanmaire (née Renée Marcelle Jeanmaire) was born in Paris in 1924. 

The collaboration between Zizi and her renowned choreographer husband, Roland Petit, would take the ballet world by storm with the world premier of the ballet “Carmen” in London in 1949. 

Zizi came to Hollywood in the 1950s and made frequent appearances on television. 

American men fell in love with her accent and American women went mad for her chic little Do.  The pixie cut became the last word in chic. 

Think the day of the pixie cut has come and gone?  Think again.  Like every great classic, it never really goes away; it just reinvents itself. 



Jenna Elfman
 
This modern version of the classic pixie is oh-so-sleek and oh-so-edgy with its short, choppy sides, longer front and full, side-swept bangs. 
 
You don’t need to be a 20-something to pull off this cut. 
 
All you need are classic features, flawless skin and a come-hither smile to make the most of this Gamine Do. 

Emma Watson
 
This classic pixie has longer sides, shorter side-swept bangs and a bit of volume at the crown. 
 
It’s a more feminine cut which draws attention to the eyes framed by a strong eyebrow. 
 
There’s something utterly sweet and innocent about this cut, but with a dash of pixie dust that promises a night of magic.  
 


Michelle Williams
 
Oh, and just so you know, the pixie can be dressed up for a night out on the town. 
 
Look at this great headband in embellished velvet.  Is that not adorable? 

And BTW, this is the perfect pixie face – almond eyes, great cheekbones and full, sensuous lips. 

No pixie dust needed here. 




Elizabeth Moss
Here we have an asymmetrical pixie (longer on one side) with a side-swept bang. 

A little volume at the crown creates the perfect balance. 

Again, we have a lovely young woman with great skin and perfectly arched eyebrows framing her beautiful blue eyes. 

The shorter the Do, the more we focus on the face.  Make the most of it.



Evan Rachel Wood
 
Now, we come to my absolute favorite pixie.  It’s positively chicissime. 

Here, the hair is a bit longer on top, but still very short and ultra sleek, almost severe. 

There’s no hiding anything with this cut.  Everything is exposed. 

What gives the architecture of this cut interest is the lift at the crown and the strong, yet subtle, use of blonde streaks. 

To highlight her perfectly proportioned face, she has done a strong eye and eyebrow and added a bright color to her lips.  The overall effect is strong and sexy. 
 

Have I succeeded in convincing you about the pixie?  Well, for those of you who remain unconvinced or who are feeling just a bit too timid to give it a go, I may have something more to your taste………..next time………….the Bob.  Stay tuned. 

4 comments:

  1. I wore the pixie several times through the years. While not my best look because of my hair texture and face shape, it certainly was easy to style. I wait for your next post...I wear a bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I hope I can give you a little something new to think about with your own bob. A bob is a bob is a bob.....NOT. There's so much more to them. We don't all have to look like Anna Wintour, although I wouldn't mind having her wardrobe.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love short hair! I am convinced....but will not wear them ANYMORE. The only time I had short hair I received compliments from all my friends (they were sincere I think)BUT my husband threatened to divorce if I would do again (he was very serious)!!! So I had to choose. Short hair or husband. And I chose hubby. No regret at that point!
    This was a fun post with great photos.
    Hope all is fine for you despite Sandy's approach. Good luck!
    Bizzzz
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chère Anne, you absolutely made the right choice. Lose the short hair.........keep the man. A good man is something you hang on to.

    I knew you would enjoy the pix of Zizi. Wasn't she just soooo chichi?

    I'll let you know how we make out regarding l'Affaire Sandy. I am expecting power cuts at any moment.

    Wish us luck.

    Bisous, M-T

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...