Thursday, October 11, 2012

Fresh Produce and Random Acts of Culture

When my parents emigrated from France with their three-year-old toddler in tow (moi, to be precise), they settled in the "City of Brotherly Love." 
 
 
 
It didn’t take my father long to discover an epicure’s delight -- Philadelphia’s Reading Terminal Market. 


Built in 1829 as an enclosed public market, the Reading Terminal Market in downtown Philadelphia houses over 100 merchants selling everything you could possibly want or need…… 


From fresh produce, meat, fish, ice cream, flowers and baked goods to crafts, books, clothing, and specialty and ethnic foods, the Market has it all.  
 
 
Every square inch is occupied by merchants, many of whom are Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch, who make the daily trip from their farms in Lancaster County to Philadelphia, often in horse and buggy. 


And, should you start to feel a bit foot sore and peckish as you wander about, there is always an accommodating stool within easy reach at any number of counters ready to serve you everything from a tantalizing snack to a delicious dinner. 
 
And, if you’re really, really, lucky, while you’re sitting at that counter, something wonderful might just happen ----- something like this………….


7 comments:

  1. gorgeous!!!!!!

    thank you!!!!

    Irene, Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you Ladies enjoyed the little "treat" I served up. Isn't it just delicious?

    Each time I watch it it makes me smile.

    Oh, and BTW, if you catch a glimpse of a cute, little woman in a black beret with a sparkle in her eyes, that's my friend, Renée, who is a member of the Opera Company of Philadelphia's chorus. She had a wonderful time doing this.

    I was also able to spot several other friends among the chorus.

    Would love to have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ma chère M-T,
    This looks like a dream place: fresh produce and lyrics. What a wonderful idea! I really love the way people look at the singers: a mix or surprise, incredulity, and finally ecstasy. Also, have you noticed the lady in black who is busy paying at the register? She must be deaf (!!!) as nothing seems to disturb her.
    I happened to see something similar once, while I was in Lille: a kind of "concert surprise" offered to pedestrians by professional musicians. They were playing Bach. Musicians would arrive one by one and join progressively the others until there is the whole orchestra. Fun memory. Though I love dearly Bach, I think Carmen is a more approriate piece in such a place and especially in winter. It must have brighten the day of all the audience.
    Fun post. Olé.
    bizzz,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comme d'habitude, ma chère Anne, your comments are delightful and such fun. I did notice la dame en noir; perhaps she had something preoccupying her mind. How could she NOT have noticed the wonderful singing happening all around her.

    But, the lady who danced with her little boy in her arms more than made up for la dame en noir. They were absolutely enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour M-T. I must have missed this post... Better late than never, right? :-) I have only visited Philadelphia once, and have always wanted to go back. Now that I have seen this wonderful market, I want to even more! (the concert was "la cerise sur le gateau!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coucou Véronique, I'm so glad you found this post (mieux vaut tard........) and that you have pleasant memories of the City of Brotherly Love, which has a very, very strong French history and a vibrant French community.

    That market was the beginning of my Father's love affair with the City.

    Do come back and visit. I'd love to show you around.

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...