Monday, September 17, 2012

Brooching the Subject

In the expanding “everything old is new again” category, last week, as models slumped down the runways of New York, one of my absolute favorite accessories was prominently on display – the brooch.

Think you’re muuuuuch too fashion forward and edgy to wear anything like those little seed pearls that sat demurely on the ample bosom of your prim and proper Grandmother? Think again. This is definitely NOT your Grandmother’s brooch.


This Chanel brooch is a real statement piece.

Even with such an exuberant mix of colors and patterns, this pin, a bejeweled replica of Chanel’s signature Camellia, more than holds its own. Putting a large, round pin on square blocks of color instantly creates graphic interest.

Those of you who know me, know that my eye is always drawn to a great scarf, but………………

Here my eye went straight to this great brooch, although…… I had to get past the eyebrows first!!

This fabulous Dsquared2 brooch is a little bit retro, a little bit rock ‘n roll and a whole lot of statement.

Grandma just might have worn this on her tweed coat.

But, you don’t have to.

Why not pin it on your handbag or, better yet, go totally bold and fasten it to your favorite skinny jeans? Then, let it peak out from under your top. Very cool!


Now, here’s a brooch that you and Granny can both warm up to.

Just pin this Oscar de la Renta beauty onto the starched collar of a classic white blouse, throw on a warm cable knit, and you’re all set to curl up by the fire with a cup of tea and a good book – schoolgirl head band optional.

Oh, and if you’re looking for the perfect reading material to complete the picture, I have a great suggestion.
The fascinating life of one of the world’s most interesting and influential socialites of your Grandmother’s era is the subject of a new biography (Viking Press) due out this November.

Susan Mary Alsop presided over a Washington, D.C., salon to rival any in the most chi chi quartiers of Paris, where she honed her charms and her skills.

Ms. Alsop knew that if you wanted to keep great conversation flowing, you needed to do the same with the champagne.

Hmm, perhaps Grandmother’s generation knew a thing or two about the interesting, well-dressed life.

6 comments:

  1. Hah! Great minds.... ;-)
    http://www.unefemme.net/2012/09/brooch-ing-subject-real-deal.html

    I love the pieces you've shown here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Déjà Pseu, this is just too funny. As we say in French, "les grands esprits se rencontrent."

    I owe you a blog visit. (A tout de suite!)

    I'll be in touch....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear M-T,
    I so agree with you... Grandmother's generation knew one or two little things people tend to forget today.
    Bringing the brooch back in trend is a lovely idea designers have had. Depending on you wear it and pair it it can be a very modern accessory. I absolutely love the way the "Oscar de la Renta beauty" wears hers.
    Your post makes me feel like exploring my drawers. I have a few brooches I used to wear years ago and that are still waiting for a come back. Will think about you and your inspirational post when I will wear them again (which should be very soon). Thanks for the suggestion :-)
    xoxo,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ma chère, I am so glad I inspired you to "fouiller un p'tit peu dans ton tiroir" for some great brooches you may have forgotten you had.

    As usual, wonderful comments. Je t'en remercie beaucoup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. M-T, brooches! how fabulous! Grand blog. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Peggy. Love your Blog, too. Hope this inspires you to take a second look at your Grandmother's brooches. Everyone has a box hidden away somewhere with old jewelry they don't know what to do with but can't bear to throw away.

    Don't forget, the small ones can be clustered on a jacket -- a great look.

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...