Do you remember my smart and pretty, 30-something client Carrie? (See “A Conversation with Carrie – Why is This So Hard?”) Well, I ran into her over the weekend. I hadn’t seen her for over a year.
“You look just great, Carrie, how is everything?” I asked.
“Let’s put it this way,” she replied, “professional life - high fives; love life - no fives.”
The latest in a series of dating disasters occurred last week, when the cute new guy at the office asked her out – dinner and a movie. She was excited. She put on her favorite, summer floral dress and coral wedgies.
When the doorbell rang, she opened it to find him standing there in baggy cargo shorts, wrinkled tee-shirt and flip-flops. Whether he realized it or not, his sloppy appearance sent her a clear signal that their date was no big deal – not as important as dressing up for the office and on a par with a night out with the boys.
“I was so deflated,” Carrie said. “I mean, I know it’s summer and guys want to be casual and comfortable and everything, but I spent time putting together a cute outfit, and he looked as if he’d just pulled his clothes out of a dirty hamper. He was nice enough, and this is not the first time this has happened; but, somehow, I guess, I thought he would be different. I mean, he always looked nice at the office.
“I know you don’t normally work with men, but do you think you could put something on your Blog for guys? I mean, I think they could really use a few tips, don’t you?”
Yes, Carrie, I definitely do, and now is the perfect time for me to have a little heart-to-heart with the boys of summer -- so here goes!
Fall will be here before you know it, Guys, and winter not far behind. Time to put away the baggy cargo shorts (my preference would be to burn them!) and flip-flops, hide your hairy toes and get your sartorial sh_ _ in order.
To get you started in the right direction, here’s a list of the Top 10 Wardrobe Items that should be in your closet, followed by a list of 4 Great Accessories guaranteed to get you the right kind of attention from the ladies.
1) The best quality, conservative Grey Suit you can afford. Make sure the fit is perfect.
2) A White Dress Shirt in 100% cotton Oxford cloth, preferably without collar buttons, as this will make it less formal and more versatile.
3) A solid color Silk Tie (navy and/or burgundy) and a striped silk tie.
4) A well cut Navy-Blue Jacket or blazer is timeless and will take you from season to season. It instantly dresses up a pair of jeans or khakis.
|Richard Gere - "American Gigolo" 1980|
5) Perfectly tailored, Dark Wash Jeans can take you from day (with a jewel-toned polo shirt) to evening (with a dress shirt and jacket).
6) Khakis (fuller cut) or Chinos (slimmer, straight cut) in 100% cotton twill are perfect for casual summer and fall weekends.
7) A V-neck, Cashmere Sweater, preferably in a neutral (but don’t be afraid of color). It should hug the body. Avoid bulky, over-sized sweaters.
8) A great Polo in a solid color. Don’t button the top button and don’t pop the collar over your sweater or jacket.
|Balmoral Oxford Ties - Made in Italy|
9) The best pair(s) of black and/or dark brown, lace-up Dress Shoes you can afford. They go with everything and you’ll wear them more often than you think. Keep them well polished.
|Classic Burberry Trench Coat|
10) A belted Trench Coat in a go-with-anything neutral color.
Now, for the 4 Great Accessories guaranteed to grab a gal’s attention:
|Vintage Omega Watch|
1) You may use your cell phone to tell time, but a great Wristwatch tells a lot about you. It tells a woman that you are a man of substance and taste.
There’s something about a fabulous watch on a man’s wrist that is oh soooo sexy!
2) Good quality Leather Gloves in black or dark brown. They should fit well. Leather gloves are classy and sexy on both men and women.
3) A light-weight, Wool Scarf (or 2 or 3) in solid color, striped or discreet plaid (fringe optional) is a must-have accessory.
Thrown over a blazer or trench coat, it adds a dash of swashbuckle to your look, and no woman can resist that.
4) And for that extra dash of country gentleman, slip a great Pocket Square into your breast pocket. (Pipe optional.)
The pocket square is a wonderfully insouciant touch, at once discreet and slightly bold.
It can be a great conversation starter without you having to say a thing -- “Hi, I just love your pocket square. It’s really great!” The rest is up to you.
In fact, the well-dressed man can let his clothes speak for him, which comes in handy when you can’t think of anything clever to say.
|Will Smith Leaving Berlin Airport|
Oh, and BTW, Gentlemen…lest you think well-dressed men don’t wear hats anymore??? Think again.
This is the way to rock a hat. Fabulous!
So, the next time you take out a special Lady, show her how special she is by taking care to look your best.
I promise you, you won’t regret it.