Friday, June 8, 2012

All Things Bright and Beautiful

“The Nun’s Story” 1957

The first time I ever saw Audrey Hepburn was in “The Nun’s Story.” I will never forget that luminous face framed in pure white. I had never seen anything so radiant and so beautiful.

She took her vows, as all nuns do, in a white bridal gown and veil. A gold wedding band was placed on her finger, a symbol that she was the bride of Christ.

Sadly, the marriage did not last, and the movie ended with Audrey and God going their separate ways.


  

"My Fair Lady" 1964



“How to Steal a Million" 1969
Most people think of Audrey in that iconic black dress from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” but, for me, Audrey in white will always be all things bright and beautiful.  



White is the color of summer – brides in radiant white; crisp, white cotton blouses; and little girls in white dresses running barefoot on green lawns.

Surely God wears white, as do His heavenly cherubim and seraphim. If I make it to heaven, I just hope He won’t ask me to wear it, too; because, to be honest, I look like Holy Hell in white.







Ruffled Blouse from Livingwellvintage Etsy

Every summer I look longingly at those crisp, white cotton blouses and sigh.

For those of us with pale, ivory skin, bright white drains every ounce of what little color we have.

White looks best on those with cool skin tones, you Winter and Summer gals.

Those of us with warm skin tones, Autumn (moi) and Spring, must be content with oyster and ivory.

But not to worry, Autumn and Spring, here are some ways to wear bright white and not look as if you are recovering from a deadly disease.









Rule of thumb #1: The color that counts is the color closest to your face.

Here we have a classic white Tee over khakis with navy blue blazer. The classic scoop-necked Tee creates visual distance between the white top and your face.

The color closest to the face comes from the navy blue jacket.

Rule of thumb #2: Pair white with warm-toned neutrals.

 
Navy blue is a neutral and all neutrals come in warm and cool tones – the lighter the navy blue, the warmer the tone.

 Don’t you just love how she’s put this all together?

Very classic, very daytime-to-early-evening chic.





Here we have a classic white suit from Banana Republic. The above Rules still apply.

She has paired the suit with a blouse in warm neutrals of beige, brown and oyster in a bold print that draws your eye to it.

The V-neck focuses attention upward to her face and away from the jacket, and the braided brown belt adds a big dash of warmth to the whole ensemble.


This is one of my favorite color combinations.







Rule of thumb #3: Add a bright scarf from your color palette.
 
If you still can’t resist buying that crisp, white cotton blouse, wrap a colorful scarf around your neck or your hair to bring color and warmth to your face.

This Sun Burst scarf from Banana Republic contains some of the most flattering colors in the Autumn and Spring color palette. You simply can’t go wrong with these colors.

Add some great, gold hoop earrings and you’re ready to give it a go.


May your summer be filled with all things bright and beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour M-T. Loved this post! You drew us in with photos of beautiful Audrey, then you kept us there with your great tips about how to wear white. A bientot. Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Véronique. I always love your Comments. Although we've never met, I feel as if I know you, and judging by your photos, I would guess you look smashing in white, n'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...