Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Artist's Model





From the fleshy folds of a Rubens to the elongated lines of a Modigliani, the female face and form have inspired centuries of artists to create the timeless masterpieces that fill the walls of museums and private collections.















By and large, we know little or nothing about the women who posed for these artists or why they did so.
 
Some did it for money, some for love; still others commissioned their portraits from the popular artists of the day.
 
While we admire and analyze the deftness of the master’s brushstroke, do we ever wonder about the woman who inspired it?

What was she like? What sort of life did she lead?

And what did she think about as she sat there for hours on end under the scrutiny of the artist’s eye?




 
I was in my mid-thirties when I met an artist through a mutual friend.

“Have you ever been painted?” he asked.

“No,” I replied.

“Well, you should be” he said. “With those skin tones and your face on the verge of becoming interesting, I’d love to paint you.”

Flattered (skin tones) and curious (an almost interesting face?), I decided to take him up on his offer.

And so I became the artist’s model.




I had no idea what to expect that first day.

What should I wear? “Whatever you like.”

What should I bring? “Music that moves you.”

I arrived in t-shirt and jeans with Richard Strauss’s “Four Last Songs,” the final trio from “Der Rosenkavalier” and Wagner’s “Wesendonck Lieder.”

Almost immediately he began to sketch as I moved around the room, picked up objects arranged on a table and then sat down to examine them more closely. We were learning how to connect with one another and, to my surprise, it all felt very natural.

For the next two years we worked in his studio in the afternoons when the light was at its best. I found that my ballet training enabled me to hold a pose for long stretches of time, and my dancer’s “muscle memory” could recall the position perfectly from day to day without any prompting.

Unlike the fashion model who poses for a photographer, there is no camera lens between the artist and his model. His eye is the lens and his hand creates the image that he alone sees.


That first week, my face would start to form on the canvas when I left at the end of each session only to be completely painted over the following day when I returned, because something was just not right – the shape of the mouth or the color of the eyes…

I quickly learned to disassociate myself from the image of the girl on the canvas. She was me; and she wasn’t.

On sunny days we might work outside, although he was always careful not to expose my skin directly to the sun.

He made no demands, asking only that I not cut my hair, which was very long, and not allow the sun to color my skin.

I complied with both requests.


I was surprised how quickly I became accustomed to the artist’s scrutiny. It soon began to feel warm and comfortable, like the tender look of an old friend.

We rarely spoke while he worked. Often I forgot he was there.

With my body locked in position, my mind was free to move about unfettered. Sometimes I surrounded myself with music letting my mind wander where the notes took me; sometimes I sat wrapped only in the silence of my own thoughts.

The odor of paint, turpentine and gesso had a calming effect on me, and the artist’s studio became a refuge during a tumultuous period in my life.



For the two years that it lasted, ours was a relationship of intense intimacy at a distance. I don’t remember that he ever touched me with anything but his eyes.

I once asked him something I had long been wondering about.

“How do you know when to put down your brush? How do you know when your painting is finished?”

He thought for a moment and then replied…..

“I know when a painting is finished when one more brushstroke will diminish it.”

Sometimes knowing when to put down your brush is as important as knowing when to pick it up.

5 comments:

  1. what an interesting and profound experience. will you post a photo of the painting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jadie, I have been pondering that very question. The artist kept most of the paintings and sketches or, perhaps, they have been sold by now.

      There was, however, a preliminary sketch and a life-sized portrait in acrylic which are in my possession. I am wearing an evening gown of ivory satin with black velvet cape. I'll give it some thought. Perhaps I will post them.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  2. What a cool story M-T. I do not know if I would have dared pose for an artist the way you did, and for so long. Unlike you, I would probably have a hard time keeping the pose, and finding it again after a few days. I would love to see the result of this talented artist's work if you decide to show it. Oh, and thank you for stopping by chez French Girl today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I would have the patience to pose for such longs periods today. I was fairly youngish and still had a dancer's displined body. Today, it would be a far different story.

      The sketch hangs in my fourth floor atelier and the painting is in my dining room. I am still pondering whether or not to photograph them and post them, but, if I do, I'll give you a definite "heads up."

      Delete
  3. I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post
    was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger
    if you are not already ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...