Monday, March 12, 2012

The Lady Is a Champ !



Last week, CBS 3 honored three-time Emmy award winning TV news anchor, journalist and co-host of the most popular daytime news and lifestyle show in Philadelphia, Talk Philly, on the occasion of her 30th Anniversary at the Station.


Oh, and did I mention that Pat Ciarrocchi has been my friend for more than a decade longer than that?



I met Pat in the Library, the Gertrude Kistler Memorial Library to be precise, at Rosemont College, a small Catholic women’s college in Pennsylvania. We were fellow Freshmen of the class of 1974. A small group of eager, determined young women, our Class motto was: “The only girls who ask for more are in the Class of ’74!!” Indeed, there were some extraordinary women in that Class, but we all knew there was one among us who would make us all proud. It was just a matter of time.


We didn’t have long to wait. Soon, Pat was popping up on the local news. “There’s our Pat,” we’d say.

And in 1982, she joined the prestigious CBS 3 (then KYW-TV) Eyewitness news team as an anchor.

The rest, as they say is broadcast history.













When she’s not co-hosting her show or chasing down stories for her segments on the afternoon and evening news, she donates her time to charitable and worthy causes for women and children. And she doesn’t just show up at these events……………she usually runs them. Pat is totally hands on from making speeches to calling out the numbers for the raffles and door prizes. She will do whatever it takes to make these events a success.


Frankly, I have watched her do all this for years and I still have no idea how she manages to juggle it all – career, marriage, family, friendships – and keep her balance. But she does.

When I call her, I often hear this:

“Hi, M, I’m on a story. Call you later. Love ‘ya.”

And she does call me later.




We share a love of many things -- opera, food and wine, girl talk, laughter.

She is passionate about fashion and classic style, as am I.

Here we are with our favorite fashion accessory – a bottle of wine.


And then there’s that big, warm Ciarrocchi smile. It’s her trademark.

I have seen her fans absolutely glow in the reflected light of that megawatt smile.

But it isn’t just about making friends for Pat; it’s about nurturing and sustaining friendships over the years that truly matters to her.




She makes it all look so easy, that even those of us who know better sometimes forget what it takes to be that consistently good, day in and day out.

We have just come to expect it from our Pat, because she always delivers.

That’s why the Lady is a Champ.

"Love ‘ya, P. Call you later."

3 comments:

  1. Bonjour. I am a new Follower of your blog's. Glad I stopped by today. Your friend Pat sounds like a pretty amazing human being. She has good looks, talent, ambition, success, a big heart... and she still finds time for her friends. Lucky you, and lucky her, as I am sure that keeping friends "from the good old days," probably helps a lot once you start hanging out with the likes of Jon Bon Jovi ;-) Have a great week. Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely tribute to your friend... She sounds like a wonderful person...xv

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really missed a lot here - I see! Great stories - and this one is particular caught my attention. Love the photo of you and Pat. : ) I was just watching Pat on tv and thinking how great she looks. Love!

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...