Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fall Fashion Flash 2011 – Part 2

In my August post Fall Sneak Peak - And It’s One More Time, Again! I talked about the return of retro (isn’t that redundant?) and bows, ruffles and fringe on blouses and shoes for fall.

In Fall Fashion Flash 2011 - Part 1 I talked about this fall’s hot color, Bordeaux/Burgundy, the return of the skirt, the importance of the LBS (Little Black Skirt) and how to put a great outfit together for fall.

Now that we’ve put that great outfit together, what do we put over it when those fall breezes begin to nip?


This handsome L.L. Bean Cotton linen field coat (left) from their Signature collection has a cozy flannel lining and roomy fit. I just love the chamois detailing at the top and the vintage feel to it. Almost makes me want to grab my skeet rifle and yell “pull !” My guess is, though, that this will become your favorite run-around town, weekend jacket. And at $175, it’s definitely good value for money.

This great Jessica London military trench (right) is ONLY available in sizes 12-28. Eat your hearts out, all you Skinny Minis out there. Oh, wait….I forgot…..you don’t eat! This classic trench is designed to flatter you lucky ladies with curves, with its adjustable drawstring at the waist. The hood collar is detachable, it’s fully lined, and it’s machine washable……..don’t we love that? And, here’s the best part………..it’s under $100………..don’t we really love that !!



This swingy AB Studio double-breasted cape (Left) is vintage Boho meets city chic with its stand-up collar, epaulets and front button opening, which makes it easy on and easy off. It comes in black, is machine washable (love it!) and it’s available at Kohls for under $50. Are you in love yet?

O.K., I confess. I really, really have fallen in love with this Trina Turk Pan-am cropped coat (Right). Naturally, it’s the most expensive of the group at $398 and it’s the least practical in terms of how often you can wear it (it will get noticed and it will get remembered). Still, it is just so deliciously 60s retro with its ¾ sleeves, bold plaid (oh look, there’s this fall’s hot color, Burgundy, in there!) and big buttons.

It would definitely be perfect over an LBD or an LBS and/or black tights or your favorite skinny jeans. And wouldn’t this be a perfect time to pull out those vintage black leather opera gloves hiding in the back of your dresser drawer? Perfect. (sigh!) Available through Amazon.


You’ll see lots of slouchy, large-brimmed hats in the stores this fall. The French call them capelines and they are the perfect way to add a bit of je ne sais quoi to any outfit.

I admit to a real weakness for this most feminine of headgear, but it’s true that you do need a certain attitude or hauteur to wear them properly, and you also need lots of head room in your car.

If you spend your life being driven from point A to point B in a Rolls Royce Phantom, which is designed to chauffeur ladies who sip champagne and wear extravagant hats, then by all means these are definitely the chapeaux for you.



If, however, you spend your life in and out of your Mini Cooper, running errands, picking up the kids from school and juggling bags of groceries, the rabbit felt fedora on the left or the cute little cloche (an absolute steal for $17 at Old Navy!) on the right might be more your style.



Lest you think I am being entirely too conservative and practical in my fashion picks this fall, allow me to shake things up a bit with – les socquettes.

Call me crazy, but I think they are oh-so-cute on the right woman (very young to youngish) with the right legs (long and lean). And peaking over the top of a pair of booties, they just look so chic.

You will be relieved to know, however, that this is a fashion statement I am not personally prepared to make.

Well, there you have it, Ladies. I’ll be in touch soon with my impressions and thoughts on Fall Fashion Week in New York. In the meantime, just thought you’d like a quick update on my burgundy pencil skirt………….it still fits!! Benjamin Franklin was right; God does want to see us happy. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. I had no doubt you would be celebrating the burgundy pencil skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ye of great faith. Thanks, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased you like my "picks," Michelle. Fall is my favorite season, and I just love everything that goes with it.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...