Saturday, August 6, 2011

Fall Sneak Peak – And It’s One More Time, Again!


I know, I know….the weather is still stiflingly hot and all you want to do is sit back and sip your frosty Margarita, but I just thought I’d give you a little sneak peak at what to expect for fall. I promise; this won’t take long.

We will be seeing lots of Retro chic circa the 70s. O.K., O.K., I can see you yawning already. Yep, what goes around comes around -- one more time. Yadayadayada. No surprise there. Have another sip.

But look at it this way -- what is just recycled fashion to us looks new and fresh to our children and, dare I say it, to our grandchildren.

And, the good news is that most of the recycled 70s fashions are very classic and very wearable. The bad news is that at our age, Ladies, we have to be careful to avoid head to toe “classic,” as that can easily tip the balance into dowdy.

With that caveat in mind, have another sip and let’s check out a few of my favorites.

Bows, ruffles and fringe once again take center stage. It’s a lovely, feminine look that can take you from day to evening with a few tweaks.

The bow blouse is truly a classic and, like all classics, has staying power, or should I say “come back” power, as it has a habit of popping back on the fashion runways periodically.

I always keep a few in my closet in silky prints and solids that I take out every time the bow blouse gets “rediscovered.”

The blouse on the left is a perfect choice for those of you gals with ample bosoms. Note the solid color, the deep “V” which opens up the décolletage area, and the low set, small bow.

The blouse on the right is more flattering to those of you with smaller chests. Note the bold print, high neck and larger ruffled bow near the neckline and over the bust area, which will make a small bust look larger.

Both blouses are available at Nordstrom for around $60.



In keeping with the retro fringe and bow theme, both of these platform shoes could have been worn by any of us baby boomers in the 70s, assuming, of course, we could have afforded them, which most of us couldn’t.

I know I couldn’t. I was a struggling university student at the beginning of the decade and a married woman struggling with a mortgage at the end of it.

The YSL sling back in khaki suede (on the Left) positively makes my mouth water (yummm!!) and my arches ache just to look at it. This gorgeous little number, called “Tribute,” will set you back about a cool $1,000.

The Ferragamo peep toed pump in grey suede (on the Right) with that flirty little bow is utterly irresistible. I want to scoop it up and take it home with me RIGHT NOW!! The “Grazia” will only set you back about $500. At that price, I’ll have one in every color. Well, O.K., but I can dream, can’t I?


Perhaps the most surprising element of the 70s revival trend, at least to me, was not so much what we will be wearing, but where most of us will be buying it.

According to a recent article in The Wall Street Journal, Department Stores where we shopped as kids and young adults during the 70s are becoming cool again.

20-somethings and 30-somethings are abandoning specialty stores and boutiques in favor of Macy’s, Nordstrom and good old JC Penney's, and the Department Stores are responding accordingly.

Because of the size, scope and variety of merchandise they can offer, including their own in-house lines, they have the ability and the flexibility to pivot on a dime to satisfy their customer, and their bottom lines are beginning to reflect this. This is definitely a trend worth tracking. I’ll keep you posted.







In the meantime, sit back, relax, cool your heels and have another sip!

Aaaaah! That's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...