Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Joyeux Quatorze!!!







Joyeux Quatorze!!



Happy Bastille Day to my family in France and all my French friends wherever they are.




On this date in 1789, an angry mob (is there any other kind?) of Parisians stormed the Bastille prison in the mistaken notion that the Bastille had a stockpile of arms and wheat. It had neither.

When they arrived at this hated symbol of oppression, its only occupants were six well heeled prisoners enjoying a sumptuous, not so petit, petit déjeuner with the Bastille’s commander, the Marquis de Launay.

The mildly surprised Marquis politely invited the mob leaders to join them for breakfast, which they did.

Unfortunately, their fellow citoyens et citoyennes waiting outside grew restless and impatient waiting for their leaders to finish breakfast and decided to take matters into their own hands. As a result, the head of the very gentlemanly Marquis de Launay was paraded through the streets of Paris on a pike. And the rest, as they say, is Histoire.

And so, the next time you are tempted to do the polite thing and invite the leaders of an angry mob to join you for breakfast, may I suggest that you keep your head about you and recommend they try the local diner down the street? Tell them you’ve heard that the brioche is just brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...