Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Paris Street Chic – What’s "en Vogue?"

I have always loved Paris street chic, particularly when the Chic are on their way to the Shows during fashion week. Street and runway reflect and inspire each other and photographer Philip Oh of StreetPeeper offers up some of the most delicious fruits of that collaboration for Vogue on line.


Here are some of my picks.

It doesn’t get more elegant and classic than this, or does it?? Giovanna Battaglia, Fashion Editor at L’Uomo Vogue and former model for Dolce and Gabanna, knows just how to put her own flourish on classic elegance.

This impeccably tailored, lady-like dress in classic white (the white hot color for spring!!) gets kicked up several style notches by the scallop-edged ruffles and hem short enough to reveal miles of long, shapely leg; instead of the classic pump, she has opted for a thoroughly modern take on the classic T-strap to stunning effect.

And, of course, no well-dressed European woman leaves home without a fabulous scarf, particularly on a typically overcast fall day in Paris.

I am also intrigued by the cool bracelet on her left wrist. Is it ornamental, functional or both? Since she’s not carrying a handbag, has she stashed her cell phone in there?

This is clearly a lady who knows how to pose while appearing not to notice the camera. How utterly chic!!



Here, Slovakian super model, Kinga Rajzak, shows us how to transition a summery print dress into a chic fall outfit.

The dark color of the jacket picks up the darkest color in the print and is then repeated in the scarf and the larger of the two handbags.

The smaller handbag takes its color cue from the lighter hues of the print.

The overall effect is of a seamless color palette whose interest comes from the mix of hues and textures.

The look is totally natural and effortless, the essence of true style.

My only quibble is with the length of the dress, which I would have shortened a few inches. I prefer to leave Paris street sweeping to the professionals.



My first reaction to this picture was………..OMG, how cute is this!! Vanessa Coyle, Senior Fashion Editor for Harper’s Bazaar UK is just adorable here. That’s the only word for it.

This outfit is fun, flirty and just edgy enough to suit my taste.

The colors are neutral with the interest coming from the mix of textures and the geometry of the skirt.

Just look at the playful, zig zag angle of that skirt. How cute is that?! It looks as if she just threw it on and dashed out the door.

That cat-that-swallowed-the-canary smile on her face tells the whole story. She looks fabulous and she knows it!

It’s hard to do casual chic better than this!



Here, Teen Vogue’s Senior Accessories Editor, Shiona Turini, shows us exactly how to do it -- accessorize, that is.

The lady-like, buttoned-up look is everywhere this fall, and this retro plaid, shirt waist dress is a great example.

Shiona has added a wide belt with a big, brass buckle to draw attention to a slender waist. The cropped leather jacket which fits like a second skin adds a great modern twist.

The platform shoes, while giving a nod to the past, have her feet firmly planted in the present.

The classic satchel in a dark neutral is perfect, and the size makes it perfectly practical.

In short, she is perfectly put together.

And now (drum roll, please!!) we come to my absolute favorite StreetPeeper shot.



For me, the photo of this unidentified couple represents the epitome of Paris street chic. Look at the artful way this stunning young woman has mixed colors, patterns and textures under a bright red Paris umbrella. Her look is purposeful, her stride is graceful and her companion holds that umbrella over her as if he were holding a canopy over the head of visiting royalty. 

Isn't it wonderful to think that you need only turn onto any cobble-stoned street or walk down any tree-lined boulevard in Paris to see the art of street chic at its finest?

7 comments:

  1. M-T ...

    Paris style is definitely one of my favorite things to watch and imitate. Love the photos and your commentary is right on.

    I wouldn't mind looking like any of the stylish women you're featuring in the post. Tres chic!

    Bonjour,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia,

    So glad you liked my picks and my commentary. There were almost 30 to choose from, but I always use the same criteria:

    Do I like the outfit/picture?

    Can I see a "real" woman wearing it?

    If the answer is yes to the above, I ask myself the following questions:

    Why do I like it?

    Why does it work?

    And, I go from there.

    As always, I look forward to your insightful, delightful comments.

    Merci beaucoup, M-T

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool post! Very interesting read!

    xx.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, one more thing - shoes. Notice how the shoes just make all of the outfits? You've got to see the leg and the whole silhouette. The toe-less boot/shoe is so popular now and can make a bland look really modern. I think that's key.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comment, Cynthia, as usual. The total look has to include a great shoe. They played a key role in not only making the outfit, but in my selection.

    Very insightful! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer and love Shiona's classic look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Dear Girl, she is truly adorable. Trends come and go but style is timeless, and she has great style at such a young age. Must be genetic.

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...