Friday, September 10, 2010

Fall Fashion Flash 2010 – Shoes!!

Having given my fall/winter handbags a good going over (see previous Post – “Fall Fashion Flash 2010 – Handbags”), my shoes are next on the program, which takes considerably more time, because I own many, many pairs. It’s not just that I adore them, which I do, I am obsessed with collecting them for a very practical reason. I wear a Cinderella-sized 4, which means that every time I find a pair of shoes in my size (Cue the heavenly chorus!!!), I am convinced that this is the last pair of shoes I will ever find in my size, so I buy them in every color. Does that sound a bit silly and paranoid, not to mention expensive? Allow me to explain.

In my lifetime, the foot size of the average woman has increased dramatically. My 5’8” Mother wore a size 6 ½ and was considered to be average. One day I will wake up and find the shoe industry no longer makes shoes in size 4, since there will probably be only two or three women left on the planet with feet that size. It is for that dark day that I have been preparing my shoe stash. You see? I am neither silly nor paranoid. I just like to be prepared. Some people stash canned goods in their basement in anticipation of a cataclysmic world event. I prefer to stash shoes.

So, what will I add to my stash this fall?

Without any doubt and with yet again a very significant nod to “Mad Men” and the 60s, the “it” shoe of this season is the kitten-heeled pump. The classic kitten-heeled pump from that era has a pointed toe and a slender heel of about 2” and nobody wore them more beautifully than Audrey Hepburn.

My first pair of heels looked exactly like the ones Audrey is wearing here in this shot from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s.” Like your first kiss, you never forget your first pair of heels.








(l to r: Jimmy Choo $695; Prada $595)

For those of you who are loathe to totter about in stilettos, the kitten heel gives your foot and leg all the grace and elegance without any of the pain of its more vertiginous sister.

It goes with everything from your prim and proper A-line skirt to your sexiest skinny jeans. And when it comes to the LBD, well, other than a glass of champagne, it’s the perfect accessory.


You will be seeing lots of furry boots this fall and winter. Some are actually quite flattering.

The Ralph Lauren boots on the left look exactly like a pair my Mother wore in the 60s, although hers had a bit less fur.

The Thakoon boots on the right look more like a shoe with an ankle muff to me, but they are adorable nonetheless.

These are both hits in my book.


There are, of course, the inevitable misses…………….

My first words upon seeing these Chanel boots cannot be shared with you in a polite family forum such as this, no matter how much they made my husband laugh. Suffice it to say they had something to do with two large Pomeranians doing something rather rude to her legs.

Other than that, I have nothing to say about these boots, except that you will no doubt see them, or something similar, on the streets of New York this fall.

They will be worn by those who can carry them off and by those who cannot.


Thigh-high boots are big again in leather and in suede (l to r: Berardo, Jacobs, Hermès & Marant).

I find the suede boots much softer and more feminine than the leather thigh-highs, which have a vaguely dominatrix look about them…… unless of course that’s what you are going for.

Ideally, you should be at least 5’10”, 5’ of which is legs, and weigh about 100 lbs. if you want to wear these. For those of you who are not, you need to keep proportion in mind if you want to pull off this look.

Keep your tops tunic-top short and make sure some leg shows in between, whether or not you opt for colored/patterned tights. For chilly evenings, a long coat (mid-calf or longer) worn open or draped over your shoulders will add a bit of drama to the ensemble.

As for me, I will definitely be adding to my shoe stash this fall………..kitten heels in every color!!!

2 comments:

  1. Jimmy keeps getting better with age. He has captured mid-modern classy for today`s chic and fashionable woman. SIGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they gorgeous? You are so right about his sensibilities for the chic and modern fashionable woman, which is why I absolutely had to include his shoe. DROOL!

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...