Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fall Fashion Flash 2010 - Handbags

Labor Day weekend is behind us, summer is officially over and New York is buzzing with activity. Fashion Week 2010 begins on Thursday. While I will keep an eye on the goings on in the Big Apple, I will use that time to give my own Fall/Winter wardrobe a good going over. Yes, I do, indeed, practice what I preach. I like to start with the fun stuff and then build slowly to a crescendo of activity as I move through my closet. The first thing I always look over are my handbags.

Our handbags get quite a beating. We overstuff them, we drop them on the floor and we expose them to the vagaries of the elements. And, yet, we truly love them, and our relationships with our favorite handbags last longer than most celebrity marriages.

We rarely go anywhere without them. In fact, it was the presence of a handbag and the absence of its owner that finally convinced Grace Kelly in Rear Window that Jimmy Stewart’s suspicions that his neighbor had killed his wife were probably correct. As she explained it, every woman has a favorite handbag and she never goes anywhere without it.

There does come a time in every relationship when we have to face the fact that our faithful handbag is now more shabby than chic and needs to go to its richly deserved reward.

Time to go shopping for a new one, and there’s no time like the present to see what’s on offer this fall.

No one seems to be sure when or even if this economic downturn will turn around, but according to the Wall Street Journal the handbag industry, top to bottom, is still doing very well, thank you very much. I told you we love our handbags.

Let me show you a few of my favorite fall finds.


The Tignanello Polish Pocket Convertible Satchel (Leather, 10" W x 9" H x 5-3/4" D) at Macy’s, comes in three colors, but this warm cognac speaks for itself without need of embellishment.

Its clean, classic lines make it the perfect go-anywhere, do-anything bag. And at $110.99, it’s a great price.



The Aegean Oversized Flap Clutch (Silk Shantung, 15” L x 9.5” H x 1” D with strap) at Couture Candy, in gorgeous Peacock is a little pricey at $228, but every girl needs a great clutch, n’est-ce pas?

With this bag in your beautifully manicured hands and a simple gold cuff on your wrist, you can command the room.


Speaking of wrist jewelry, this is Tiffany’s new Bracelet Bag (Satin, 8.25″W x 4.75″D x 4.75″H), shown here in their signature blue color. The handle doubles as a bracelet, hence the name.

It seems that Tiffany & Co. have seen the hand(bag)writing on the wall and have decided to become a serious player in the luxury handbag game.

This little gem will set you back $795. Will the Tiffany bag one day rival the Hermès bag? Only time will tell.

Which reminds me, did I ever tell you about how I got my Kelly Bag? No? Well, that’s a tale for another time. Stay tuned……

4 comments:

  1. I loved this post as I am a big handbag enthusiast, and I love the 'changing of the guard' that comes with swapping out my summery bags for fall ones each year. Now, to wait for that cooler weather to get started... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love handbags!!! A post after my own heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now, I'm planning a surprise birthday party for my best friend. I'm almost done with it, but I'm just confused on what will I be my birthday gift for her. I know that she loves fashion. Calgary is one of the places that she goes to when she shops for some stuff. She's also updated with the latest fashion trends here in Calgary and in different countries. What if I'll give her a designer bag? Will she love it? Well, I hope so. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Davis, you are definitely the ideal BFF --- a designer bag for a birthday gift!! How wonderful. I have two questions and one comment.

    Do you know if she has been lusting after a certain bag from a certain designer? Has she dropped any clues?

    Handbags are very personal for a woman, like falling in love. You know when you see the right one. Sooo, if you choose for her, make sure she can exchange/return it just in case it's not "the" one.

    Good luck and let us know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...