Monday, September 20, 2010

Autumn in New York

Paris has my heart but New York has my soul. Outside my window the dogwood leaves have already turned to flame and will soon be swirling around my feet as the autumn breezes begin to stir. Something inside me is also beginning to stir.


 
 
 








Somewhere in the distance Old Blue Eyes is singing “Autumn in New York.”

“It’s autumn in New York. It’s good to live it again.”






Add caption
Source:  Autumn Cozy

And nobody wears the colors of autumn better than New York.

If you’re going to fall in love, this is the time and this is the place to do it, because this is the time of year when New Yorkers fall in love with their City all over again. You can feel that tingle in the air as they reconnect with each other over cocktails, romantic dinners for two and long walks in Central Park.


Ah! There’s nothing like sipping a cocktail in the Rainbow Room. In Paris, I have an apéritif before dinner. In New York, I have a cocktail. New Yorkers love their cocktails, and none captures the mystique of the Big Apple better than the cocktail that bears its name – the Manhattan.

Take some whiskey, sweet vermouth, add a dash of Angostura bitters, stir over ice, strain into a chilled glass and garnish with a Maraschino cherry. And if you can drink more than one and walk away in a straight line, there’s a role waiting for you on “Mad Men.”

Stories of who made the first Manhattan are part of the fabric of New York legends, but I know who made the best -- my mother’s Aunt Emily. A tall, elegant woman who worked in the fashion business, Emily smoked, drank and loved the company of men. They, in turn, loved her Manhattans. After Emily’s death, her sister, Annie, revealed the secret of Aunt Emily’s Killer Manhattans. She marinated the cherries in the whiskey and vermouth before serving.

“It’s autumn in New York. It’s good to live it again.”

1 comment:

  1. With all due respect to my Aunt Emily, my favorite apéritif is a Kir. But, like my Aunt Emily, I have my own twist on this international favorite. Stay tuned and I'll share w/you my Winter Kir, my Summer Kir and my Special Occasion Kir Royal.

    A votre santé!!

    ReplyDelete

My dear Readers, I do so love reading your comments and appreciate the time you take to make them. To make it easier to leave your comments, I have disabled that annoying "Word Verification" setting, which Blogger (in its infinite wisdom) enabled without my consent.

If you have a problem posting your comment, just send it to me at frenchtouchimage@gmail.com.

I will be happy to post it for you and link back to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...